Familiarity tests for the noob.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnbarr

Hello to everyone here on the forum, I'm Chris, this is my first post so I hope it is in the appropriate place. I would like to start by thanking everyone for their knowledge, dedication, and help. I am new to refining but for years the idea has always intrigued me. I have read, read, and re-read for two months straight, and after finishing Hoke's book for the second time and I tried to use her small scale format for familiarity tests but applied it computer scrap, and if this has been discussed anywhere before I apologize in advance.

I took one of the many computers I have been collecting and pulled out the ram and pci cards and clipped of the fingers (6 fingers total), cut them into smaller pieces to fit in my beaker then covered them in 30ml AP and let sit over nite. After all gold foils separated (I'm not sure of the weight of the foils my scale doesn't go that low, maybe 1/10th of gram) I then filtered, washed, and rinsed, set aside to dry. Put the foils in a test tube and dissolved in Hcl/Cl, then slowly heated to dissipate chlorine. I the mixed up my stannous chloride for testing and dipped my q-tip in then a drop of stannous and I got that beautiful purple everyone loves to see when testing.

I thought this would be a good process for anyone new to refining, it gave me a fair understanding of the AP method, Hcl/Cl, and stannous testing all in one without the risk of losing major values. I now have a test tube half full of a known gold bearing solution to test my stannous against. I have also omitted the various details of each method intentionally because if someone doesn't know what AP or stannous is, I personally feel they haven't read enough. I read the "what went wrong" posts daily, someone mixed up aqua regia then threw in a few cpu's and don't know what happened. All the knowledgeable one's here don't tell everyone to read and re-read to be rude, they say it so we can grasp a safe understanding of what we are doing. Thank you everyone for the vast knowledge here, if this post is in the wrong place please tell me, and if any of my info is incorrect definitely tell me.

Nice! Sounds like you did about half a dozen things right. You read Hoke, you read Hoke again, you read others' posts on how they AP'ed and how they screwed up AP, you started with a very small batch, and you tested w/Stannous.

Thank you! After reading Hoke and her tests for familiarizing ones self with the chemical processes I tried to figured out a way to apply those concepts to computer scrap and that is what I came up with. I feel for someone new to refining computer scrap this would be a great place to start and to get a feel for the reactions of some of the essential processes.

Sounds like the way I started just a little over a month ago. Slow and with small quantities just to experience the reactions and ,hopefully, the expected results. My eyes are falling out from reading so much!!! :wink: The chemical reactions and the metals replacing each other in solution is really quite fascinating (cementing metals out of solution). I had no idea that this could be done until I found this fantastic forumn.

cnbarr,
I congratulate you. Not only for your success, but for setting an example for those that wish to learn to refine, but have no desire to do any of the preliminary work. As you discovered, the reward of doing your homework makes it all worth the effort. Had you not paid attention and jumped in blindly, I fully expect you wouldn't have enjoyed the success you achieved.

You, sir, are a shining example of what readers should be and do. Welcome to the forum! 8)

Harold

Harold_V said:
cnbarr,
I congratulate you. Not only for your success, but for setting an example for those that wish to learn to refine, but have no desire to do any of the preliminary work. As you discovered, the reward of doing your homework makes it all worth the effort. Had you not paid attention and jumped in blindly, I fully expect you wouldn't have enjoyed the success you achieved.

You, sir, are a shining example of what readers should be and do. Welcome to the forum! 8)

Harold

Thank you sir, I take your kind words with immense gratitude, as I know they are not easily thrown around to just anyone. I read your posts among many others (lazersteve, geo, rockman, mic, etc...) daily, and try to absorb as much knowledge and wisdom as possible. Not only about what to do in refining, but what not to do, to me knowing what not to do definitely lessen the learning curve.

Thanks again to all. 8)

Latest posts

Back