filter material?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My purpose in filtering was strictly to recover values, not to control other emissions. For that purpose, I used fiber glass furnace filters, which incinerated well, and became a vital part of the chemistry for the succeeding melting process (I added silica to my flux, so the filters became part of the added silica).

I had long considered doing something with the fumes, but I sold the business before taking any action. Sorry----I don't have much to add.

Harold

Shor once sold a self-contained AR refining machine that used separate limestone and charcoal fume filters to kill the acid and the NOx, respectively. However, someone once told me that charcoal/NOx reactions can start fires.

Charcoal is good for organic solvent vapors, not for much else.

A PVC pipe packed with lime would probably be one of the best for this acid vapor neutralization.

Most fume hoods in commercial labs don't even bother, they just exhaust :-/

There are threads on http://sciencemadness.org/talk that have info on building fume hoods/cupboards which implement both charcoal and Ca(OH)2.

What they call play sand is coarsely ground Marble (Calcium Carbonate) Its only a couple of bucks a bag. It's coarse enough to use as a filter.

I took a piece of fiberglass window screen, put in a pound or so and keep it in the inlet funnel of my stockpot. It neutralizes any acid fumes that leak out. It's also handy to kill any spills.

Back