Filter papers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmk88

Dear All,

Does anyone know whether dissolving filter papers in AR will result in losing gold?

I always avoid the papers going in however was speaking with someone today who seems to think it’s better to dissolve the paper as well.

I use a spray bottle to get my material from paper to flask.

You can dissolve the filter paper in the AR just fine. When you filter that solution just make sure you wash the pulp well enough to get all of the pregnant solution washed through the filter. I save all my filters and when I get enough I incinerate them and process them for PMs.

Jmk88 said:
Dear All,

Does anyone know whether dissolving filter papers in AR will result in losing gold?

IMO - yes - at least to some degree

Why ? --- because after you have dissolved the filter paper(s) you still have to filter "that" solution & no matter how much you wash the filter there is "ALWAYS" at the very least a "trace" of gold chloride that stays trapped in the filter

How much (gold chloride) remains trapped is of course a question of how well you wash the filter - but - you "NEVER" get it all out

So there is "always" at least a trace loss in the task of filtering

So if you dissolve a filter in AR you gain what was lost in that filter - but still have a loss to the next filter - so at least to a point you are just trading one gain for the next loss

And that is fine if you are only producing "a few" filters (say 3 - 5) at a time & recycle (dissolve) those "few" filters as you go (Dissolve those few filters from the previous batch(s) when you do the next batch)

That said - IMO - you are better served to save your filters until you have enough to be worth while processing as I posted here ------------

:arrow: Incinerated filters and PM salts recovery

When I was refining full time I was producing 10 - 15 filters per day - the filters went into a 5 gallon bucket (lined with a trash bag) when the bucket was full I pulled the bag - when I had 2 - 3 or 4 bags I processed the bags as instructed in the link (meaning the bags got ashed along with the filters)

Think of it this way --- saving your filters & processing by ashing them when you have enough of them - is like a savings account in the bank :mrgreen:

Kurt

Latest posts

Back