filters

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I typed the word filter into our search engine:
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/search.php?keywords=filter

I can use more words or phrases to refine the search for more results.

Hi!
I'll just give my 2 cents here.
In short, I've seen everything from advanced pressure filter systems
via coffee filters to home made tissue paper systems being used here in the forum.

One of the sweet systems are vacuum filter systems which can be relative cheap
and can be constantly topped during filtering.

Currently I'm using a 50mm Buchner system driven
by a Biltema brake pressure/vacum hand pump for the fine filtering.

The backside of coffee/funnel filtering is that besides for the coffee filter being coarse,
the whole filter will soak up the liquid and will end up holding values.
If the liquid is the target it is hard to flush it completely clean, if powder is the target,
the mass of filter paper to be reprocessed will be larger than if a vacuum system is used.
And the paper quality may give more ashes than proper filter paper.
In any circumstances, keep the filter papers for later incineration and reprocessing.

The drawback of the vacuum system, in my eyes,
is the need to transfer the liquid from an erlenmeyer flask to beakers.

A question to our "elite". 8) :wink:
Is it possible to use controlled air pressure in a sealed tank, in stead of vacuum,
to filter a given volume contained in a tank?
After all the max differential pressure one can reach in a vacuum system, is 1 atm. appr 1bar/14.5 Psi.
The tank needs to be applicable for the pressure used, of course.

In my thinking the forces creating particle compression in such a system should be in the same category as ordinary Vacuum/Pressure system. :? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For the time being I'm pondering a system for vacuum filtering directly to beakers.
I'll see if I can make it work in time.

Anyways I've ended up using [stt]decanting[/stt] siphoning quite extensively in stead of or prior to filtering.
I'll usually start with a battery water bottle and then go to pipettes.
It will demand more initial effort, but the reward is less volume to filter.

BR Per-Ove

Edited for clarity and correction.

I'm Sorry.
Siphoning was what I meant :oops:
Caught red handed in my English skills :D
I'll edit the post, thanks for setting me straight.

Br Per-Ove

Yggdrasil said:
A question to our "elite". 8) :wink:
Is it possible to use controlled air pressure in a sealed tank, in stead of vacuum,
to filter a given volume contained in a tank?
After all the max differential pressure one can reach in a vacuum system, is 1 atm. appr 1bar/14.5 Psi.
The tank needs to be applicable for the pressure used, of course.
Sure, it's called a "filter press". And as you have realized with vacuum you can only get a pressure differential of 1 atmosphere at maximum and before that water starts to boil, destroying the vacuum. For a filter press the limits are only technological, not physical.

http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Filter_press

Göran

Thanks Gøran.

Rethinking the situation, I realize that, that is a filter press by principle. :wink:
I was thinking about slightly simpler way, more achievable from a low investment view.

Ordinary filter presses use pumps and what not to filter with high pressure, don't they?
Even continuous filtering of big volumes?
They will also need stronger filters to resist the pressure, I guess.

I was thinking more in the realms of a pressure tank of steel or what ever suits your application
and then put in a screen for the filter and add controlled air pressure to filter the given volume inside.

It may not be very versatile though,
and I'm not sure it would be very usable for the average user despite being relatively inexpensive.

Vacuum systems would probably be much cheaper and will suit most purposes better I guess.

BR Per-Ove

Hello,
I agree siphoning does seem to work much better for me than decanting. I have used many coffee filters for filtering until I accidentally found out how much fine powder I was letting escape through them. I still use them for some things but you should absolutely save them for incineration later they can hold a fair amount of trace value. One of the neatest things I've learned on this site is the wick method for filtering difficult solutions.

FrugalRefiner said:
I think Palladium was working on a similar idea. He was working with PVC pipe and fittings. He mentioned it in the Pre-treatment before incineration thread. I don't know if he ever completed it.

Dave

No i fooled with it, but i never put it into concept. I got a real filter press on the cheap and never looked back.

Latest posts

Back