First time, limited working area.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macwildstar

Ok, been saving up gold scrap from computers, monitors, printers, and Glucose test strips for about 4 years now. Got a big pickle jar full of the stuff.

have over 3,000 accu check glucose strips, will need to process those one way, from what I understand.
Then I have gold "fingers" from connections on circuit boards, about a pound of these.
Have gold fingers from green board CPU's.
Have several dozen ceramic CPU's with gold pins that I cannot remove, not sure how.
and of course the usual memory chip/circuit board fingers.

My space to work on this will be limited to about 10 feet square, and I may have to do this outside the storage shed.

Can someone tell me the best way to do the Glucose strips,
and the best way to get the gold from the other items?
I don't think we will be able to heat anything up, but I can make a bubbler, if that will help the process.

This will probably be a 1 time deal.. I.e. processing this, then taking another few years to gather more before I do it again.

Thanks.

Also, somewhere on this forum, I found a list of chemicals and what they mean.. Like HCL means this.. AL means that, and what they were, but I cannot find it again.. can someone tell me where that list is?

Without trying to sound like a ass, maybe you should consider a toll refiner until you can get a little bigger space to work in.

http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=23400
Glossary of common terms

http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=562&hilit=General+reaction+list
General reaction list

Those are two good things to start with, but before doing that, it is probably best to read the entire safety section, to know what to do with the waste stream you will be creating.

http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1300&hilit=Dealing+with+waste
4metals post is a few down from the top, memorize it.!

Many if the reactions we use, can be done without heat, but it takes much longer. Not a lot of heat is required, even a small hot plate with a corningware dish sitting between the heat coil and the beaker will suffice. That pyroceram dish buffer is needed to prevent thermal shock of the vessel, causing you to lose your values.

Ceramic cpu's are generally broke into smaller pieces and ran whole in Aqua regia (the gold plated caps are ran in dilute nitric to liberate the foils)

Glucose strips, I have no idea on, I hsve only got a few hundred of them and have just pyrolized them, then added the remains to other pyro'd stuff.

The processes that could be suggested for other items you mention really depends on you, and what you have access to. Chemical wise, and investment wise. Some do copper (II) chloride leach for fingers, I like to do a dilute nitric leach.

If youd like a toll refine, send me a pm, I'll gladly do it.

Edit to fix spelling, darn new phone..

Glucose strips have so thin gold that it takes notime to dissolve in dilute AR, in a bucket. Another bucket for water rinse and that's all.

Latest posts

Back