Forgot to add urea

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maj.abdollahi

Hi.
I have aqua regia solution that contain platinum. From cc.
I forgot to add urea and add ammonium chloride!
What shoud i do now?

Add solid copper metal and cement all the values out of solution and start over. Even though urea works for the purpose, a better chemical to use to neutralize the free nitric acid is sulfamic acid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfamic_acid

Geo said:
Add solid copper metal and cement all the values out of solution and start over. Even though urea works for the purpose, a better chemical to use to neutralize the free nitric acid is sulfamic acid.

So you said that i add copper to the soltion. Then filter it and add it into aqua regia again? Is it correct? How much long to cement?

Geo said:

How much sulfamic acid i should pour?

Length of time needed varies but can be sped up by agitation, such as bubbling air through the solution, and/or heating the solution. Any precious metals (any metals less reactive than copper such as gold,palladium and platinum) will cement out of solution onto the surface of the copper metal as a black powder. Remove and observe the copper metal daily or several times per day by gently brushing any black material from the copper back into the solution and reinsert the copper metal into solution for a few minutes and then look again. Any fresh black powder formation means you should leave the copper in the solution longer. Continue until no more black material cements onto the copper metal.

When using sulfamic acid, heat the solution to near boiling. Add the sulfamic acid crystals to the solution in very small quantities, at first. If there is excess nitric acid, there will be a burst of activity and if you add too much at one time, the solution could boil over the container. It's best to do this in a vessel that is half full of solution at most or less. Add until there is no more reaction when you add more. You can cover the vessel with a watch glass. A trick I use to let me know when the sulfamic acid is depleted is when red NO2 gas is formed. As long as there is sulfamic acid neutralizing the excess nitric acid, the space in the vessel between the surface of the solution and the watch glass will remain clear with no color. When the sulfamic acid is depleted, red NO2 will begin forming again and you know it is time to add more. It is finished when (1) there is no reaction when more is added, and (2) red NO2 is not formed after being covered for some time.

Geo said:
Length of time needed varies but can be sped up by agitation, such as bubbling air through the solution, and/or heating the solution. Any precious metals (any metals less reactive than copper such as gold,palladium and platinum) will cement out of solution onto the surface of the copper metal as a black powder. Remove and observe the copper metal daily or several times per day by gently brushing any black material from the copper back into the solution and reinsert the copper metal into solution for a few minutes and then look again. Any fresh black powder formation means you should leave the copper in the solution longer. Continue until no more black material cements onto the copper metal.

When using sulfamic acid, heat the solution to near boiling. Add the sulfamic acid crystals to the solution in very small quantities, at first. If there is excess nitric acid, there will be a burst of activity and if you add too much at one time, the solution could boil over the container. It's best to do this in a vessel that is half full of solution at most or less. Add until there is no more reaction when you add more. You can cover the vessel with a watch glass. A trick I use to let me know when the sulfamic acid is depleted is when red NO2 gas is formed. As long as there is sulfamic acid neutralizing the excess nitric acid, the space in the vessel between the surface of the solution and the watch glass will remain clear with no color. When the sulfamic acid is depleted, red NO2 will begin forming again and you know it is time to add more. It is finished when (1) there is no reaction when more is added, and (2) red NO2 is not formed after being covered for some time.

Thank you so much

When cementing PGMs with copper you MUST provide STRONG agitation to the solution (an air bubbler works best for this) if you don't the PGMs will make a strong bond on the copper & 2 things will happen (1) the PGMs bonded on the copper will stop the cementing process - meaning you wont get all the PGMs to cement out of solution (2) you will have a HARD time get the PGMs bonded to the copper off the copper

If you use copper to cement PGMs (&/or gold &/or silver) from a solution you DO NOT need to neutralize the free nitric with urea or sulfamic - the copper will automatically use up the free nitric

Kurt

kurtak said:
When cementing PGMs with copper you MUST provide STRONG agitation to the solution (an air bubbler works best for this) if you don't the PGMs will make a strong bond on the copper & 2 things will happen (1) the PGMs bonded on the copper will stop the cementing process - meaning you wont get all the PGMs to cement out of solution (2) you will have a HARD time get the PGMs bonded to the copper off the copper

If you use copper to cement PGMs (&/or gold &/or silver) from a solution you DO NOT need to neutralize the free nitric with urea or sulfamic - the copper will automatically use up the free nitric

Kurt

Thank you so much. I'll try it. How should i pure platinum from copper?
Another question: may you see my another topic in help needed? (Yellow palladium powder with no color crystals) may be you can help me

Latest posts

Back