Gold braze around steel lids

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kernels

Hi guys,

Any good ideas floating around on how to recover the little rings of gold braze from magnetic lids from some ICs ? I could throw them in with my Sulfuric Cell stuff, but wondered whether there was a chemical approach to this one ?

kernels said:
Hi guys,

Any good ideas floating around on how to recover the little rings of gold braze from magnetic lids from some ICs ? I could throw them in with my Sulfuric Cell stuff, but wondered whether there was a chemical approach to this one ?

Kovar - not steel! I doubt if the H2SO4 stripper (or cyanide) will dissolve all of the Au/Sn alloy. If it does, it might take a very long time. I would dissolve it all. Either hot 40% HNO3 and then AR or just AR to start with.

Thanks GSP, I I guess the other shortcut would be to use tin snips to cut away any bits without braze on them, no need to dissolve any extra Kovar. Thanks for the pointers, will try it on a test-tube size sample.

Dissolve them all in strong AR Kernels. The Kovar won't be a problem your gold will come out clean.

Reaction will be vigorous so don't put too many in until you see how it's going.

Jon

Normally I add Nitric in very small quantities on a small batch of material where I know there's little base metal and little gold. If you know at outset that you have a very high base metal content such as Kovar and you know you have a good weight to dissolve i.e. 100g or higher, then you can actually premix your AR in a 5:1 ratio and get it hot. Start with something like 500ml of HCl and add Nitric to that 5:1 ratio. Then add your material a few small pieces at a time.

The reaction will go quickly! Extremely vigorous so do add a couple of pieces to "test the waters" so to speak. Your pieces will only take a few minutes to dissolve completely if we're talking about kovar lids. So measure the reaction and be careful and add your material in batches that suit.

I ran 4.5Kg of ceramics yesterday in 2 x 1.2 litre solutions as above and the time to completely process 4 procs in each was about 3-3.5 minutes comletely, so the whole batch didn't take long.

This isn't for newbies. It's for people who understand the AR process, who are kitted out for this, and who are processing reasonable to large quantities. The excellent "standard" processes for AR will suit most people better. Done correctly, there isn't a massive amount of excess Nitric at the end.

Remember your standard tests for running out of either HCl or Nitric, and remember your basic safety rules. Hot strong AR is very unforgiving.

Latest posts

Back