gold cell & lead

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyreece

is the reason im having alot of lead in my cell from my acid being to hot or maybe its the cathode its self may not be right ?
what are the most common reasons one would get adnormal lead saturation in a gold cell ?

You will always have some residual lead in your solution - it forms as an oxide on exposure to air & becomes mixed with the sulfuric, especially on start-up. Storage of your cathode in the rinse container like lazersteve shows in his video can minimize that.

Also, I've found that some gold sponge forms on the surface of the cathode - if this is brushed off into the cell it will carry some lead with it.

I haven't found lead to be an issue, however, especially after getting some pointers from Harold. According to him, some sulfuric isn't a bad thing when going to dissolution in HCl-Cl, as lead sulfate is insoluble in it. It will appear fluffy, almost curd-like, & will filter fairly easily. As lazersteve has pointed out elsewhere, You may need to refilter solution through the same filter more than once, until the pores get sufficiently clogged to trap the finer filtrates. Your solution should be crystal clear golden yellow - if its cloudy there is still residues that should be cleaned out.

You may be experiencing other contaminates - hot sulfuric, especially if some diluted, will dissolve copper, tin, nickel. Concentrated hot sulfuric can dissolve silver. These metals would be in solution, as opposed to the gold, which is soluble only in the persulfuric (sic) acid formed directly next to the anode, it is then precipitated from the sulfuric solution that makes up the rest of the solution.

You can remove TOO MUCH lead by several boiling water rinses accompanied by stirring, allowing to settle well then siphoning.

Just my observations from my limited experiences.

Good luck!

thank you for the information dtectr,
i kept the cathode in water when not in use and i did boil with water and filter sevral times etc. but i just dont understand how im getting so much lead still.
one thing i did notice on my last little bit i filtered is my solution was green, i suspect copper. i havent done anything withit yet. its still in the bottle

over 30 lbs of old gold plated jewelry. she is all ready finished. ha ! and i really thought i had some good material ! for gold plated jewelry anyway

Back