Gold cupel fail results lead gold crust

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknolton79235

Tried to cupel , Im new in refining in any form . First go. I put concrete down first in my cupel laid down one nugget about 10 gms gold covered with 80gms lead and put propane torch about 5 inches away from product. This was the.result. it all mixed to form a sort of fragile stone of mix gold and lead. How do i recover and extract from this hellish result??

Attachments

• 16364014224418586326823127064337.jpg
    16364014224418586326823127064337.jpg
    1.1 MB
Did you read the furnace conditions that are needed in the "Trying to Cupel" thread? You weren't too specific on your cupel construction technique. Pressed dry cement will adhere and insulate with your alloy, especially when blasted by a direct propane torch, making the concoction in the photo. My suggestion would be to flux it with some Sodium hydroxide flakes in a crucible, pour into a conical mold, beat bead out, then re cupel, with the furnace conditions stated by the other poster.

HELLO friend to answer you simply

useful information 1)

your ratio is very low 125gr gold /875 pb you are too low.

next time put less lead (25% or 75% lead is better)

comment

1) in 5 seconds of analysis on your picture I already tell you several important things to notice,

a) you didn't go to the melting point of the lead, because we can see the powder aspect, rather than metal,

you must absolutely go to the melting point (so melting point = 327.5°C) and stir well because gold is more resistant +-1000°C

by stirring a little you will check that the lead/gold alloy is homogeneous.

b) use portland cement for the coupellation (polish the metal receiving area well)

2) you must then maintain the melting point until the lead is absorbed by the portland cement
3) at end you have pur gold solid metal

best regard Vince

Latest posts

Back