gold extraction from fine carbon

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
santiago said:
If you have a problem burning that carbon, mix some sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate with it. Just try heating a small sample of your carbon, once it gets red hot you mix in a little sodium or potassium nitrate and you will see how fast that carbon burns. The nitrate salt gives a source of oxygen so that your carbon can easily burn off. By testing with a small amount you can get an idea of how much you will need to add for bigger volume. I've tried this method... works well
Just for precautions, you should assay that ash / carbon for mercury after retorting to make sure no more mercury is there.
This is genius! I'll definitely try this out soon..!

butcher said:
In Hoke's Book she speaks of recovering gold from high carbon material using litharge, the oxygen in the PbO combines with carbon forming CO2, and the lead collects the gold.
Wow! So PbO is reduced to Pb? Do I get a metal (Pb-alloy) bead from the ashes?

Thank you. I'm roasting mine on open air with firewood but it's tiresome and sometimes ashing won't be complete I will have to do wet sieving
Wet ashing is not recommended, it is extremely dangerous.
So dangerous that no professional company are doing it.

It's actually wet sieving and not wet ashing. I am roasting carbon to ashes on open air and I sieve to remove residual carbon that's left

Back