Gold filled eye glasses, how to process?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NobleMetalsRecovery

Trying to get some ideas for processing gold filled material. What is popular here on the forum? Would like to do it without nitric acid if possible. Don't mind using sodium nitrate and sulfuric acid.

Just eyeglasses, copper(II)chloride will work pretty well.

Hot ferric chloride will work as well. With high heat it will work on fairly big pieces as well.

I often use sulfuric and sodium nitrate, it works almost as quick as nitric. I have ran as much as 4 pounds of gold filled using this method. Getting it right can be a bit hard, and getting any excess salts out is a bit more difficult than using nitric but still very doable. Often it requires decanting used up solution and starting with a fresh mix unless you have a very large beaker. It does have the advantage of being less prone to boil overs than nitric as well. (I have never tried stainless with this method, but I am very curious if it would work) If stainless will hold up, a large stew pot would be very helpful with plenty of excess space for solution.

Latest posts

Back