Gold ic chips flat packs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have some old gold ic chips and I am curious if anyone knows the potential yield on these types. Dated from mid 1967.

Attachments

• 60655BCB-6EFD-45C9-95D8-A201B93A4546.jpeg
    60655BCB-6EFD-45C9-95D8-A201B93A4546.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • FFDF85AF-0FA4-4320-BD56-C51723E9F20E.jpeg
    FFDF85AF-0FA4-4320-BD56-C51723E9F20E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 57DC0319-906E-4996-A23B-92561C7372CA.jpeg
    57DC0319-906E-4996-A23B-92561C7372CA.jpeg
    838.2 KB · Views: 0
They probably aren’t nearly as high yielding as you’re apparently thinking? Depending what chips you compare to they don’t have the same physical area of the gold caps, or the longer length of the bond wires, as do larger processor chips. You have to recognize the difference between the amount of yield “per piece”, and the yield “by weight”. If you have chips with low to moderate yield that are small and contain very little waste material, their yield by weight will seem very high. But it will also take a big pile of boards just to collect that pound or kilo of chips. That’s why smaller (14 or 16 pin) side brazed gold cap chips yield much better than an equivalent weight of larger (32 or 40 pin) side braised gold cap chips. There’s a whole lot less waste ceramic in the smaller chips.

He’s comparing CPU chips, but to demonstrate this look at Ewaste Ben’s 2 youtube videos where he rates the best yielding CPU’s by weight and by piece. They’re very different lists!

What equipment did those boards come out of ?

I'm certain that you will get more money selling these than you would ever get from the gold recovered.

Of course if you just want to refine these boards there's not anything wrong with it.
I have had similar boards except they
were full plated and from the early 1970's, they were probably out of testing equipment or communications equipment and this type of boards all get processed in a batch so I don't know how much gold each chip or even individual boards would have.

They probably aren’t nearly as high yielding as you’re apparently thinking? Depending what chips you compare to they don’t have the same physical area of the gold caps, or the longer length of the bond wires, as do larger processor chips. You have to recognize the difference between the amount of yield “per piece”, and the yield “by weight”. If you have chips with low to moderate yield that are small and contain very little waste material, their yield by weight will seem very high. But it will also take a big pile of boards just to collect that pound or kilo of chips. That’s why smaller (14 or 16 pin) side brazed gold cap chips yield much better than an equivalent weight of larger (32 or 40 pin) side braised gold cap chips. There’s a whole lot less waste ceramic in the smaller chips.

He’s comparing CPU chips, but to demonstrate this look at Ewaste Ben’s 2 youtube videos where he rates the best yielding CPU’s by weight and by piece. They’re very different lists!
I agree with you. Was hoping someone has dealt with these gold flat packs in specific. Debating if I sell on eBay the price as to not screw myself out of money if they’re worth more by refining. Thanks for your reply!!

There are people that collect those boards and some people like to restore old hardware. They are right about getting the most value by selling those boards on eBay if you have the time or inclination . Wish I had his year .

Already selling on eBay as I get my refining methods down. Doing over 40 lbs of pins no magnetic atm. In 500 gram increments which is a bit over 1lb. Very new and much needed hobby for myself. I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks again,,,,,

Back