Gold Not Precipitating ??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacktoadd

I seem to be having a problem getting solutions with known gold to precipitate. First, how do I know there is gold? Examples.
1). I had some ore I processed and was 99% sure there was gold present, though in small ammounts. I scratched my head, put it in a container and set it aside to think about it, and took a piece of sheet metal and dropped it in on end and forgot about it for a day or so. The sheet metal was all black from the smut of being disolved by HCL and there were half a dozen gold leaf's growing out of the smutted steel one approx a 1/16 of an inch. They curiously all were shaped like elephant ears.
2). I was working down some crushed ore. First time trying to use the HCl peroxide and then the HCl Bleach. This ore was finely powdered. After I thought I had all of the values out I still had the piece of Hard drive magnet on a stainless steel rod hanging in the solution used to collect maveric iron when the mud settled. I pulled this out, rinsed off the mud. There was a quite large place of the magnet where gold had plated on the magnet. Removing the particles collected around the edge of the magnet revealed a number of areas plated with gold.

I am working on these and a couple of other solutions that have displayed gold in such manners. I do not seem to be able to get gold to precipitate from these solutions.

Please: I would be interested in hearing of any reasons there are that will prevent the precipitation of gold from solution. [/u][/i][/b]

Visit our books section here and read the book by Hoke, and one by C.W. Ammen.

You won't scratch your head as much after reading those.

Good Luck

Blacktoadd said:
Please: I would be interested in hearing of any reasons there are that will prevent the precipitation of gold from solution.
You have been provided excellent advice by NuggetHuntingFool. I suggest you follow it to the letter.

I also suggest you become familiar with stannous chloride, and learn to test solutions for various values. Guessing what you have is a waste of time. You'll learn all about it in Hoke's book.

Harold

Latest posts

Back