gold plated Aluminum exposed to HCl vapors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldscraphobby

Hi,
I have some gold plate aluminum stored in a cabinet where my AP bucket is.
I recovered the gold from others using diluted nitric.
I noticed that these stored have what I think is the aluminum corroding from the HCl vapors.
Because the gold is pitting I am going to assume that some gold in now in this powder, I can see some pieces of gold.
Questions
1. Since these have been exposed to HCl vapors is it going to be an issue to put them into the dilute nitric? I do not what to make AR.
2. What would be the best way to process this powder. Answer #1 will be taken into consideration. I do have some excess AP. I have nitric but its limited and expensive around here (including hard to obtain)
Thanks

Attachments

• 20200307_140816.jpg
    20200307_140816.jpg
    4.4 MB
  • 20200307_140818.jpg
    20200307_140818.jpg
    4 MB
Pulling Gold from Al is easy with Nitric.

i recall a Mod many years ago saying that Gold over Al wasn't something that was ever done but he was wrong because clearly it is. Getting it off using HCl is a bad thing and as Hobby said it's a Nitric job.

That given if you leave it for long enough in an HCl environment then sure it will flake off as the Al dissolves so feel free to scrape it off :D :D

Latest posts

Back