Gold plated jewelry sold as Gold Filled

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyGoldenTaco

Hello All,
I am needing some assistance with an experiment I was conducting. This was done solely as an experiment, not to turn a profit. The experiment was conducted in a fume hood in a detached garage.
That being said, I purchased two "14k gold filled" chains to try to recover and refine the gold from. Each chain weighed 58 grams. The only marking on the chains was 14k. I used a gold testing kit (acid and stone) to verify if I was in fact starting with any gold. The 14k solution dissolved everything on the stone completely. I then tried the 10k solution and there was no reaction. At that point I assumed there was at least some gold content.
Here is the process I used, could someone please help me understand whether I made a mistake or the jewelry was in fact just gold plated.
-I removed the spring from the clasp and tested for magnetic material, there was none.
Used a torch to burn off oils, then placed in 200ml distilled water. (1000ml beaker)
-I then added 40 ml 67% nitric acid. (my hot plate was not working so the reaction was done at ambient temperature, approximately 85 degrees F.)
-45 minutes later there were no more fumes being produced, I slowly added an additional 40ml nitric acid.
-1 hour 15 minutes later, colored fumes had stopped. 40 more ml nitric acid was added. (the solution at this point was a very vibrant blue.)
-1 hour 15 minutes later, no more fumes, quite a bit of material remained in the beaker so I added 40 more ml of nitric acid.
- At this point I had to step out and run some errands so I allowed it to sit overnight (mistake?)

The next morning when I checked the experiment, I was surprised to see that everything was dissolved. Absolutely nothing was left except for a minuscule amount of very fine white powder. I tested the solution with stannous chloride and the result was negative. (Purchased not made). The solution is still sitting and I have not touched it in a couple days.

I am assuming at this point that it was not gold filled but instead gold plated, but I could be wrong and it could just have been a mistake on my part. It was my understanding that gold would not dissolve in dilute nitric acid though.

Could someone please provide some insight or guidance. I would greatly appreciate any and all assistance. Thank you.

Just because something is stamped it doesn’t necessarily follow the stamp means damn all, we are dealimg with a millennium old con.
If after a long soak in nitric and no brown or black powder left I’d guess your stuff was very thinly plated, gold may be present but in such small amounts you can’t see it.
Get some better material to work with.

Latest posts

Back