Gold powder that is all clumped up together?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husker4515

Hey, took alook at this gold melt video. Towards the end he places his gold in the dish, but his gold powder is all clumped up together. My question is what do you use to get his gold powder to do that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rMM-9Pm8Kg&feature=player_detailpage

Barren Realms 007 said:
Clean gold, or he heated it with the tourch to dry it out.

So you just dry your wet gold powder with a torch, and no swriling the beaker at all?

Isn't that Goldenchild's video? You just don't recognize him without his rings. He has posted gold powder drying tips on the forum.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=8825&start=60

Jim

jimdoc said:
Isn't that Goldenchild's video? You just don't recognize him without his rings. He has posted gold powder drying tips on the forum.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=8825&start=60

Jim

Thanks guys for the info, and thanks Goldenchild for the video.

The clumps are easy to handle, but I prefer a free flowing heavy grain powder. I've never had any problems with the torch blowing the gold out of the dish as I start with the flame just licking the gold powder unitl it starts to shrink.

The flowing powder grains make it easy to measure out the exact quantity you want to melt. I frequently divide my gold yields with a customer when I refine, so it's important to me to be able to measure the gold and the powder form is perfect for this.

Steve

After washing gold precipitations from smaller lots I dry the individual customers gold in separate Pyrex custard dishes in a toaster oven. I have a rail set in front of the oven to affix the sticky tab identifying each cup that has followed the customers gold throughout the refining process. After drying, an artist’s brush easily sweeps the dry contents into a vessel that has been tared on the scale.

I really like using the small sticky note tabs with the customer’s lot number on it. It allows you to accurately follow many smaller lots without mix-ups as to the owner. Accountability is key to repeat customers.

If you buy your gold outright instead of toll refining, such tracking may not be as important to you unless you are questioning your accuracy in purchasing scrap lots.

Barren Realms 007 said:
He would have dried with the tourch in a melting dish possibly. If you did it in a beaker it would possibly crack the beaker.
Not true. I dried my gold in the beaker. So long as you avoid thermal shock, they'll tolerate heat perfectly well. I dried the gold slowly, swirling the beaker to cause the gold to gather, then once it had evaporated all of the water, temperature was increased. As the gold heats, assuming it's clean, it will clump. You have to use good sense when you have a hot beaker--setting it down on a cold surface alone will lead to cracking. I had a large round piece of asbestos (1¼" thick) that I'd keep near the hood just for such a purpose. If the beaker was hot, I'd place the asbestos pad from the burner on the asbestos round so the beaker wasn't placed on a cold surface. I don't recall ever losing a beaker from that operation, and I heated my gold to the point where it fumed. You'd be amazed at the things that are retained in washed gold.

Harold

Harold_V said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
He would have dried with the tourch in a melting dish possibly. If you did it in a beaker it would possibly crack the beaker.
Not true. I dried my gold in the beaker. So long as you avoid thermal shock, they'll tolerate heat perfectly well. I dried the gold slowly, swirling the beaker to cause the gold to gather, then once it had evaporated all of the water, temperature was increased. As the gold heats, assuming it's clean, it will clump. You have to use good sense when you have a hot beaker--setting it down on a cold surface alone will lead to cracking. I had a large round piece of asbestos (1¼" thick) that I'd keep near the hood just for such a purpose. If the beaker was hot, I'd place the asbestos pad from the burner on the asbestos round so the beaker wasn't placed on a cold surface. I don't recall ever losing a beaker from that operation, and I heated my gold to the point where it fumed. You'd be amazed at the things that are retained in washed gold.

Harold

That was why I stated it would possibly happen Because we know that 90% or more of the people that try this in a beaker are going to be impatient and try to rush it and not heat the material evenly and crack thier vessel.

HI GUYS... I NEED HELP TO RECOVER MY GOLD... I GOT MY GOLD FROM OLD CPUS... I GOT IT IN LIQUID FORM... THE PROBLEM IS THAT I TRIED WITH METABISULFITE AND ISNT WORKING FOR ME... THE WAY I DISOLVED IT: I MIXED NITRIC ACID ALONG WITH MEAGNESIUM CHLORIDE... 100ML NI... 20 G MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE... THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE SOLUTION HAS COPPER INTO IT AS WELL... HOW CAN I SEPARATE THEM AND MAKE MY GOLD CLEAN? I WILL THAK YOU SO MUCH WHEATHER YOU GUYS CAN GIVE ME A ANSWER...

izzywizzy said:
HI GUYS... I NEED HELP TO RECOVER MY GOLD... I GOT MY GOLD FROM OLD CPUS... I GOT IT IN LIQUID FORM... THE PROBLEM IS THAT I TRIED WITH METABISULFITE AND ISNT WORKING FOR ME... THE WAY I DISOLVED IT: I MIXED NITRIC ACID ALONG WITH MEAGNESIUM CHLORIDE... 100ML NI... 20 G MAGNESIUM CHLORIDE... THE PROBLEM IS THAT THE SOLUTION HAS COPPER INTO IT AS WELL... HOW CAN I SEPARATE THEM AND MAKE MY GOLD CLEAN? I WILL THAK YOU SO MUCH WHEATHER YOU GUYS CAN GIVE ME A ANSWER...

One of the majors will have to tell you whot to do with magnesium chloride. Haven't herd that mentioned before.

But get rid of the all caps. We don't like to be screamed at. 8)

Latest posts

Back