Gold sponge with palladium contamination

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huggybear

Hi All,

I have an aqua regia solution containing 10% gold and 0.1% palladium as well as 2% copper and some other base metals.

Once I deNox the solution and drop the gold using sodium sulfite, I am getting about 3000ppm of palladium in my gold sponge.

I have tried leaching the palladium from the gold sponge using nitric and hydrochloric acid washes but it only drops the palladium to around 1000ppm.

I am wondering if there's a better way to wash the sponge or if I can somehow avoid co-precipitating the palladium with my gold sponge.

Thanks,
huggy

It was discussed here some time ago, that with PGM contamined Au feed, it is better to drop the gold with FeSO4.

I never had problem with persistent Pd contamination of gold - but I always had these two together from processing AuPd pins, directly dissolved in AR. I dropped the gold with sulfite, and then precipitate Pd with DMG.

Then, I re-refined the gold also with sulfite (or better SO2 gas) and obtained 999Au, with Pd content about 0,03%. For me, this was more than sufficient.

It was discussed here some time ago, that with PGM contamined Au feed, it is better to drop the gold with FeSO4.

I never had problem with persistent Pd contamination of gold - but I always had these two together from processing AuPd pins, directly dissolved in AR. I dropped the gold with sulfite, and then precipitate Pd with DMG.

Then, I re-refined the gold also with sulfite (or better SO2 gas) and obtained 999Au, with Pd content about 0,03%. For me, this was more than sufficient.
I remember wondering why some used FeSO4 instead of sulfite but that makes sense, I read it in a PGM refining chapter. I'll give it a shot.

If not you just re-refine.. by that you mean re-digest and precipitate?

Thanks

I remember wondering why some used FeSO4 instead of sulfite but that makes sense, I read it in a PGM refining chapter. I'll give it a shot.

If not you just re-refine.. by that you mean re-digest and precipitate?

Thanks
Yes. First drop is washed with bit of HCL, digested in AR and then re-precipitated.

Back