Gold staying dissolve and copper precipitating

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanry

Hi everyone,
First a little introduction: I've been practicing chemistry as a profession and as an amateur for years, but I'm more on the organic side of chemistry. I'm pretty bad with inorganic Chem and metals.
12 month ago I decided to get into gold recycling. I took all the computer part I've kept for years out of the scelling and got started, but it didn't went that well.

I first separated the gold from electronic with HCl +O2, then filtered it and dissolved it in Aqua Regia.
The solution is now quite transparent (due to several mistakes, including the use of non-Pyrex glass when heating, making my grass highly valuable, and making me loose approximately 3 liters of tears) but I was sure there was gold in it.

I then added a saturated solution of sodium metabisulfire without neutralizing the solution (I'm still not sure if that was a mistake :/)

I was very happy as I smelled the awfull SO2, and even more when I noticed a yellowish-reddish dust precipitating (after spitting out my left lung and putting on my gas mask of course)
But I was a bit concerned. Gold is supposed to precipitate fast in a black powder in presence of SO2. Not a pinkish dust over 4h.
As I have the luck to have access to analytic equipment I runned a RX spectrum on both the solution and the dust. Turns out the dust is mainly copper and the gold is still in solution :(
For now 6 month (gosh 6 months...) I've add metabisulfate and HCl, a bit randomly I must confess :oops: , trying to make a lot of SO2, stirring the solution before letting it sit for weeks in hope to precipitate something. Experimenting but with poor results.
Now I'm seeking help because I'm getting a bit depressed about this as any of my attempts fail.
Do you have any idea of how I could get the pure gold back? I'm sure the gold is here, but I'm not sure of what is dissolved with it. I think there is Cu2+, and maybe HCl, HNO3, and metabisulfate.
I can't get rid of all the copper with metabisulfate, because I may get beyond the point of equivalence and start precipitating gold that I will discard (and because that is taking too long... 6 month...)
I think about electrolysis but I'm not sure at all this will work. Or maybe adding metallic copper to reduce the gold in the metal form ? I know it work for silver, but I'm not sure if this can apply to gold, especially gold chloride.

Actually I'm thinking about burning everything at 450°C to décompose everything, and put what's left in nitric acid to get rid of any trace metal... (or just burning everything as I'm really tired of this mess)

Now I know that experimenting can be fun, except when each failed experiment is worth ~100€ :cry:

Anyway, thank for reading, if you have any idea of a method i could try, or if you ever got in my situation and sort it out, please let me now ^^

How did you test the solution to ensure you had gold? Both before and after precipitation.

Hey!

For the test I used x-ray spectroscopy. I don't have stanous chloride, and X-ray is an efficient analytic tool.
But if gold precipitate in trace I may have missed it in the spectrum.
But, as I wasn't sure I kept everything so that's OK.

My two main guess to this point are:
1- put everything back into one solution and cementing it by adding pure copper, before getting rid of the copper with nitric acid.

2- burn everything, getting rid of Cl2, NO2, H2O and SO2.
I should be left with a sodium salt and pure metal.

I'm tempted to go with 1, but I'm not sure if this can work in presence of SMB. As anybody tried, or do you have suggestions?

Using XRF to test can lead to the wrong impression that you have precipitated a pure copper metal. I agree with Lino that it should be impossible to precipitate copper while gold is still in solution. But there are copper compounds that would register as copper on XRF, especially if your XRF only measure metals.

Copper can and is recommended for cementing gold out of a mixed solution. Gold often cements as a black powder that falls to the bottom but can also form a yellow to brown crust or even as a black crust.
http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Cementing

We recommend new members read Hoke's book. It is written for jeweller without any chemical knowledge, so you should not have any problem understanding it.
http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Calm_Morrison_Hoke

I also recommend that you make some stannous chloride solution, it's the standard way to test for dissolved gold. (Do not use in cyanide solutions!) It only takes seconds to determine if there is any gold left in a solution.
http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Stannous_chloride

Göran

Latest posts

Back