Grade of HCl and Nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmarth10

I was reading in Hokes book and I saw its recomended for AR to use lab grade chems. I purchased my chemicals before I began reading and I assumed that I had the right ones. I got 69-71% Nitric and 36% HCl. Are those insufficient?

If it helps any, I used tech grade acids routinely-----the sole exception being I used reagent HCl for the final wash of gold that was refined a second time. I had no problems with purity, and achieved perfectly acceptable results on my gold for many years, refining commercially.

Judge for yourself. Here's a picture taken of the last gold I refined before selling my small business. It was processed exactly as I described, including the use of tap water. No flux was used in melting the gold aside from a thin coat on the dish, and the gold did not require pickling to improve appearance. There were no oxides.

It's more likely your end results will be influenced far more by the way you handle the gold than any possible effects you may suffer from your choice of acids.

Harold

Attachments

• Gold shot.jpg
    Gold shot.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 112
Thanks, Pat. You can surmise I took great pride in producing a product that was not only good, but good looking, too. I was always quite proud of the gold I turned out.

Harold

Back