Gray mud with gold foils what to do next?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigger

will HCL 30% + peroxide melt gold foils? I put my concentrated mud and foils into a fresh batch of HCL+ Peroxide and it turned bright yellow. i was thinking it would get rid of some of the mud and leave just gold foils so i could filter them easier. if i put hcl on the gray mud and add bleach will the gold dissolve?

also ii tied to precipitate gold from a earlier batch with sodium meta bisulfite (stump out) and it just turned a dark orange / brown color with very little gold precipitating out of it.

rigger said:
will HCL 30% + peroxide melt gold foils? I put my concentrated mud and foils into a fresh batch of HCL+ Peroxide and it turned bright yellow. i was thinking it would get rid of some of the mud and leave just gold foils so i could filter them easier. if i put hcl on the gray mud and add bleach will the gold dissolve?

also ii tied to precipitate gold from a earlier batch with sodium meta bisulfite (stump out) and it just turned a dark orange / brown color with very little gold precipitating out of it.
Rigger, welcome to the forum. Please read through the forum rules - there's a link at the top of the page. We ask that members take their time when posting, check their spelling, grammar, and capitalization. Trying to read your post made my brain hurt.

To answer your questions, HCl and peroxide will dissolve gold, not melt it. If you wanted to wash your foils, you should have used just HCl.

Yes, HCl and bleach will also dissolve gold.

Perhaps your earlier batch didn't have very much gold in it. Foils can look like there is a lot of gold, but it takes a LOT of them to amount to much. Did you test your solution with stannous chloride after your precipitation to make sure you got all that was there?

I always like to recommend new members read through the Tips for Navigating and Posting on the Forum thread to help get them off to a good start.

Dave

This exact same question seems to be popping up weekly at the moment, last weeks answer is here: http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=25491

thanks for the info. what can i use to get the gold out of the hcl/peroxide solution?

Most pipe fittings are brass, not copper. Just some copper pipe works fine, cut along it's length to get a nice flat sheet of copper. Bus bars from electrical panels also work well. This is only if you actually have gold in solution, which you can check for by testing with Stannous Chloride.

Latest posts

Back