hay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodshanz

i have 6 big fausets i was thinking abot fileing them downe is this a good ider.just like to know im downe to 128 pounds of gold fixsters left

rodshanz said:
i have 6 big fausets i was thinking abot fileing them downe is this a good ider.just like to know im downe to 128 pounds of gold fixsters left

Proper English is your friend.

I think if you file them you'll be adding small amounts of Iron from your file and you'd be losing gold because "dust" particles of it would float away... but I could be wrong.

Everybody. Wouldn't he just be able to use HCL+CL to dissolve the gold plating off? Might take extra time, but wouldn't it work?

He seems to be having trouble with any processes that are suggested, so perhaps if we simplify it would work. No?

My opinion?

No.

When you dissolve values from base metals, you're going to experience premature precipitation of values unless you dissolve all of the base metals. that's never a good idea unless there are no other avenues to pursue, especially when recovering values from copper-based alloys.

Faucets are typically red brass. They lend themselves very well to stripping with a sulfuric cell. The principles of the stripping cell are very unlike direct dissolving in acid in that persulfuric acid dissolves the values at the cathode, then they self precipitate as they migrate away from the cathode, ending up as minute solid particles that are then separated from the electrolyte. Base metal is not dissolved, nor does it have an effect on the operation, assuming the voltage isn't too high.

If I had the number of faucets that was discussed originally, I'd have built a small (sulfuric) stripping cell, no question about it.

Harold

You're right about that. I forgot that Hoke mentioned that several times. When you dissolve a mixture of material, eventually the base metals going into solution will start prematurely precipitating the precious metals and eventually other base metals along with them.

Latest posts

Back