HBF4 Removing Lead

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Read somewhere that Fluoroboric acid is used to remove lead from the PCB waste stream being treated for precious metals recovery.

How closely is HBF4 related to hydrofluoric acid , thanks

Regards
Rsuty

rusty said:
Read somewhere that Fluoroboric acid is used to remove lead from the PCB waste stream being treated for precious metals recovery.

How closely is HBF4 related to hydrofluoric acid , thanks

Regards
Rsuty

Hi Rusty, I’ve looked into this, read many articles. Theirs a company or patent that depopulates boards without subsequent damage to the components using HBF4. Mighty assume idea.

My only concern is that HBF4 is a very nasty compound and extremely hard to obtain. It is for this reason I chose not to pursue this avenue. It’s widely used in organic synthesis chemistry.

It would be nice to obtain some other solvent that removes component without damaging them. I have looked and am still looking

Deano

HBF4 + H2O2 is commonly used to dissolve Pb/Sn solder. I would say it's far less dangerous than HF. Maybe in the same category as HCl or HNO3. It is a strong acid and must be treated as such. I don't remember it producing many fumes. I have used it many times while in the plating industry. Many metals are plated from fluoborate baths - Ni, Cu, Pb, Sn, Ag, etc.

Latest posts

Back