hcl & cl

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will dissolve other metals,base and precious,but it does it very slowly,and it takes a lot of chlorine to dissolve small amounts of any metals.That is why it is not a good choice for dissolving,with the exeption of foils.The chlorine can be killed off,or dissipated very quickly to reprecipitate your gold.

thanks mic for answering that for me.. i find it a useful tool for foils and powder alike. but somtimes the gold wont drop. it will precipitate, but stays in suspension. could that be from not adding enough water or smb ?

Sometimes the precipitated powder is so fine that it wants to "hang" in suspension.There are a couple of things that will help aglomerate the powder.Make sure you stir very well for a long period of time.Gold is "sticky" and will grab other particles and grow in mass and weight,and drop faster.or you can just slowly boil it,as long as your solution tests negative for gold.Gold chloride WILL evaporate off,so make sure you have none in solution.If it is still positive,put a little copperas in muratic and add that to your auric chloride.That should precipitate any remaining gold out.

Most rust,is Iron Oxide,and Copperas is Ferrous sulfate.Most types of rust will cement everything out of solution over a period of time,copperas is pretty selective,and fast.

Additionally, from my "Lessons Learned the Hard Way" series ... :oops: :p

If your glassware is not ABSOULUTELY clean - following Harold's advice, I began using Bon_Ami cleanser & a brush uniquely for that purpose. Rinse VERY thoroughly - the minute amounts of oils, or detergent residues otherwise left behind, will cause the precipitated gold to hang in suspension forever ( well, a long time - days, in some cases).

Also, if the salts are not thoroughly rinsed from precipitated powder, it can cause the powder to suspend, as well. Sodium is added to cleaners to act as a dispersing (is that the right term?) agent, keeping solids in solution to avoid settling out of suspended soils or residues. Just the opposite of what we want to accomplish.

Just FWIW

dtectr said:
Additionally, from my "Lessons Learned the Hard Way" series ... :oops: :p

If your glassware is not ABSOULUTELY clean - following Harold's advice, I began using Bon_Ami cleanser & a brush uniquely for that purpose. Rinse VERY thoroughly - the minute amounts of oils, or detergent residues otherwise left behind, will cause the precipitated gold to hang in suspension forever ( well, a long time - days, in some cases).

Also, if the salts are not thoroughly rinsed from precipitated powder, it can cause the powder to suspend, as well. Sodium is added to cleaners to act as a dispersing (is that the right term?) agent, keeping solids in solution to avoid settling out of suspended soils or residues. Just the opposite of what we want to accomplish.

Just FWIW

A little drop of dawn dish washing liquid will release the suspension on the surface, warmign the solution up can help the powder settle faster, settingthe container on something that has a small vibration to it like an outside A/C condenser can help the material settle.

I have learned that if you drop few grams do it in as less solution as possible. Once I try to drop 2g of gold from close to a litre of solution and it did not settle even after week. More is not better in this case.

Sodbuster said:
Barren Realms 007:
You say Dawn dish liquid.

What about other dish liquids, or do they maybe have other stuff we don't want in our solutions?

Just curious
Thanks

Ray

I'm sure others will work that is just what I use and it does a great job.

I use my spray bottle with the setting on "mist",but pretty much any soap(detergent) will work,even hand (bar) soap.However,as physics go,you are creating different effects,to achieve the same desired result.All detergents are surfactants,and will elliminate the natural surface tension of the water,whereas spraying water on the foils creates a different suface over the foils,instead of gas,allowing the foils to fall.

thanks again to all of you.....
well it rained last night here and of course all 6 of my glass jars containing my gold were outside. somtimes it seems as if i just cant get a break

If they contained foils,or powder,then the gold should be at the bottom of your containers.If it was auric chloride,you have a problem.

Latest posts

Back