HCL replacement

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayf

Hey guy , is it possible to use nacl (table salt) with nitric acid instead of hcl to make aqua regia , its just a thought🤔🤔

I've never seen that question, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Often, people use hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium nitrate (NaNO3) to create "poor man's" AR. Using table salt (NaCl) and nitric acid (HNO3) results in all the same ions being in solution.

Dave

Yeah the result of such a reaction will be hydrochloric acid and sodium nitrate
i dont know if i need to try that

I believe the reaction will be sodium ions (Na+) and chloride ions (Cl-) from the salt, and hydrogen ions (H+) and nitrate ions (NO3-) from the nitric acid. That's the same result as combining sodium nitrate with hydrochloric acid.

Usually the sodium nitrate and hydrochloric acid approach is used because of availability and cost. But if nitric acid is more available to you, it should produce the same result.

I'm open to correction from anyone who sees what I may be missing.

Dave

well , tests are done
i firstly tested the solution on gold plated copper pins and it completly dissolved them , no foils are left .
i secondly tested that to dissolve the gold in IC's ashes and every thing went well after filtration and killing the free nitric i successfuly precipitated the dissolved gold
Thanks every one 🌸🌸

Latest posts

Back