Hello from the Tropics

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islander

Hey all!
I am really glad to have found this site! It is amazing and just what I was looking for!
I am 28 and a Goldsmith born and raised in Barbados. I have been in this line of work for some 10 years now and I was looking to start refining my own workshop scraps. Due to lack of capital, I would have to set up at home in the cheapest way possible and was really worried about the corrosive fumes and my neighbours, but this forum has really given me some good ideas, especially about scrubbers.
Usually I would just be surfing, diving or just hanging with my friends (add rum), but times are tight and if I could start refining locally, that could give me a little side line. Also, by collecting the electronic scrap that is just thrown away, maybe I could get into the recycling as well. Save the environment. My island is only 166 square miles so dumping space is only so much.
Right now, I am on this forum night and day just SOAKING up this information and I would like say a big thanks to all the great contributors here!

Islander welcome to the forum,im sure most of the leading members of this forum are glad you started by reading the many threads on here,even if all the information doesnt register it really helps if you understand the basics before you start to refine.When and if you decide to start refining start small and go slow,if you get stuck post a question, the combined knowledge of this forum is staggering,someone will help and hopefully you will succeed in your aims.

Thanks for the advice Nick. I already have Hoke's book in print and the joke is that I have browsed through it before but thought it may have been too dated. lol, boy was the joke on me! I also have 10 years of precious metals experience and I know older jewellers who used to refine their own scraps but had trouble with a shortage of nitric acid, not to mention the dreaded brown fumes.
The information here certainly is staggering and all-in-all, I think I am pretty set. As for going slow, I am the turtle that looks twice before jumping :)

Islander it sounds to me if your nearly ready to go.Check out the build your own equipment section for ideas for fume hoods and scrubbers,those brown fumes aint clever for you or the neighbourhood.There are threads on here for making nitric also, so build your hood and you should be clear to start. Dont forget if your not sure about any part of the process post a question and always think saftey first money second.

Back