Hello from Virginia!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Greetings everyone! If you can't tell, I'm from Virginia. I'm new here, and new to this whole idea. I look forward to learning all that I can from y'all, so I hope y'all are ready, 'cause I can ask a lotta questions :mrgreen:

Virginia Gent

Hi Richard. I'm new to the whole idea of anything dealing with gold, silver, etc. I love the idea of prospecting, but I don't know of any places around here where I could do that. As for refining, my brother works for a major college here in the IT department and he says they just stash their spare computer parts in a warehouse. My dad, who also works for this college, says that one stuff goes into that warehouse, its done and is considered junk, so I figured why not ask my brother to see if he can't get the processors and other circuits that contain precious metals and I'd give my hand at reclaiming it.

I figure it sounds like a fun new hobby, not to mention it could be a good way to make some extra cash, especially with the prices of precious metals today. Plus, I'm getting married soon and I consider myself a handyman, so the idea of melting down some gold and making my OWN wedding ring to give to my future wife, well I think that speaks volumes itself.

I have the rest of this week off so I'll have plenty of time to search the board and learn stuff. Learning is a passion of mine (only when it's things I like learning about, like History or Law) and so this sounds like something that would be fun, and possibly useful, to learn. What about yourself, Richard?

Virginia Gent

Hello Virgina Gent,

It sounds like you have a great inside source to scrap. Aside from the gold that it contains, scrap metal yards would buy the rest of those units for the copper and other metals that they would contain. I know, I have sold quite a few vcr's, cd players car stereos, CB's, etc. at a scrap yard here.

Making your wife a Gold band would be cool, and hope that you recover enough gold to do so. I took a jewelry class as an Elective back in High School, so I know how easy it is to do, as well as how fun it is to make your own rings.

As for myself, I am a "Rockhound". lol!

I have been a prospector since I was 6yrs old, and have found a few pockets of gold within the sand and gravel in ground out holes in the Bedrock of stream bottoms. Panning out those sediments is where I have had the most luck while out prospecting stream sediments. As far as Hardrock goes, I have located a deposit that Assayed out at 1.17 oz tn Au, and 3.51 oz tn Ag, Though as of yet have not started to mine it. I am still looking for a market for the ore concentrate, I do not want to sink a bunch of cash into it without a market for the concentrated gold bearing ore minerals.

I am an Assayer for Gold and Silver, as well as a pretty good amature petrologist/geologist/mineralogist.
I can identify Rocks/Minerals as well as thier associations with each other, and the type of vein systems they are associated with.

I like Chemistry as well, and as a result I have an extensive knowledge of how to test Rocks/Minerals to identify what metallic, and nonmetallic elements that they contain. Quite useful as an Assayer, and prospector.

I am also an Adventurer at heart. I love the outdoors, and exploring Caves/Old Mines, Prospecting, Rockclimbing, Hunting, Fishing, Rafting, Hiking, and Camping are things that I do enjoy doing.

Anyway, Good to hear from you, and again, welcome to the Forum!
If you have any questions about Rocks/Minerals, and testing them, I am the one here to ask.
I am "The Rock Man", lol!

Sincerely; Rick.

Back