Hello! New member, New Project underway!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACFERRET

Hello!

I am Joining here to shar in my new found adventure I started last week. Since we were all sitting at home, and by chance i aquired about 1000 dollars of gold scrap, I am now about 5500 dollars total invested, and I am now committed LOL.

I have been studying a lot, learning a lot, and getting some ideas of my own to pull of this chemical sorcery.

I have acquired APX 40 grams of 10-14k gold scrap jewelry, and apx 4000+ grams of gold filled jewelry of all sorts.

Equipment tools and glassware are coming in the mail and I am preparing to extract the gold and silver from this batch of material.

I plan to:
1. rough up the GF scrap for penetration of acid behind the gold layer
2. Bathe the material in aircraft paint stripper to remove any adhesive material or paints on parts that may benefit. Then rinse afterwards
3. Incinerate all material prior to processing
4. Place material into a bath of water, in a large FLASK and add Acid incrementally untill there is no more reaction or NOx production.
5. Contain the NOx production inside the flask allowing venting to a Gas washing bottle containing Distilled water, nitric acid, and h2o2 with vague understanding that this will result in recovery back into nitric acid.
6. A third inlet to the flask will allow addition of water, or a plug to keep gas contained and forced into the recovery bottle(s)
7. Additional Gas washing bottles paced in series 4 total to increase chance NOx gas will disolve.
8. Remove excess solution and save for further processing
9. Rinse material, Add more nitric to ensure all metals disolve.
10. Filter out solid remaining solid gold bearing material from solution.
11. Incinerate this material.
12. Dissolve this material by way of AR solution ensuring not to add too much nitric and adding a chunk of gold untill gold stops dissolving following the addition of nitric acid to HCL.
13. Add small amount of sulfuric acid to precipitate lead.
14. Filter out lead and other remaining debris
15. Add sodium metabisulfite to gold bearing solution and allow gold to settle before testing with stannous chloride solution to ensure all gold removed from solution.
16. Filter out gold precipitate, contain solution as waste to be treated.
17. Melt down the gold in an electric furnace using lots of flux to keep particles of gold from becoming airborn and lost.
18. Recover silver from waste nitric acid solution, by submerging copper rod, and allowing silver to precipitate out for recovery.
19. Treat remaining waste to neutralize.

I have seen use of a magnet affixed to the side of a beaker, is this necessary if so when? can i just allow the steel to dissolve?

Any negative side effects of dissolving unmarked jewelry that has a high likelihood of being gold plated rather than gold filled?

I am going out on a limb attempting to recover the gasses, I see some things about production of ammonia rather than nitric acid, and I am concerned that the ammonia may contaminate future batches when i introduce the recovered nitric acid into future batches as I wont be processing all 4000g of it at once. Any advice appreciated. I feel it is a good idea though as it reduces emissions and danger, while also reducing cost of nitric acid.

Some of the jewelry has tiny tiny stones that may be difficult to remove, and advice on handling tiny stones?

I hear that the filtered out material in step 14 may contain other precious metals, is this true?

Is there any benefit to re-processing the waste AR solution after precipitating gold or should i just neutralise and dispose?

Things are showing up in my mailbox every day, I look forward to having fun with this project. Any and all information appreciated, as I am diving into this with somewhat incomplete knowledge of every facet of the process.

Ross

Latest posts

Back