Help asap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikkisixx81

I am new to gold refining. I desperately need some help. I used the Ap method. When I added bleach to my hcl it was still greenish yellow. I used bonide stump out to drop the gold. Was still too green so I used a cooking pot and put in some water to indirect heat my solution. Well my glass vase wasn't heat tolerable and it broke. So my solution was inside this Teflon type coated pan with water. I wasn't able to remove the solution right away and I let it sit in the pot. Well when I went to transfer my solution I noticed the Teflon has come off of the inside of the pan with my dropped gold. So now I have black yucky looking stuff with my gold inside of it. How can I clean my gold from this Teflon stuff? There's too much gold to just dispose of the solution.

I have no experience using Teflon containers in this manner... But, you can re-dissolve your gold, filter and drop again. There is a possibility that some of your gold may have cemented out on the bare metal when the Teflon came off.

Maybe...the Teflon will just burn/slag off during the melt, but I don't know that for sure. I'm sure there are others on the forum that can answer that question.

PS.... Swing by a thrift store and pick up a cheap coffee maker pot.....not exactly lab glass quality, but they can handle heat cycles better than glass. They are still susceptible to thermal sock though.

Also look on Amazon for very cheap lab beakers and vacuum flasks and funnel kits. They are quite affordable and if you plan to keep refining do yourself a favor and buy the proper equipment, it's going to minimize the mishaps.
I started out using coffee pots and quickly realized that I need better equipment and have added to my lab setup over time. Now I have pretty much everything needed to refine everything from silver to platinum and even a very nice distillation set that I bought for cheap too.

I am new to gold refining. I desperately need some help. I used the Ap method. When I added bleach to my hcl it was still greenish yellow. I used bonide stump out to drop the gold. Was still too green so I used a cooking pot and put in some water to indirect heat my solution. Well my glass vase wasn't heat tolerable and it broke. So my solution was inside this Teflon type coated pan with water. I wasn't able to remove the solution right away and I let it sit in the pot. Well when I went to transfer my solution I noticed the Teflon has come off of the inside of the pan with my dropped gold. So now I have black yucky looking stuff with my gold inside of it. How can I clean my gold from this Teflon stuff? There's too much gold to just dispose of the solution.

I have no experience using Teflon containers in this manner... But, you can re-dissolve your gold, filter and drop again. There is a possibility that some of your gold may have cemented out on the bare metal when the Teflon came off.

Maybe...the Teflon will just burn/slag off during the melt, but I don't know that for sure. I'm sure there are others on the forum that can answer that question.

PS.... Swing by a thrift store and pick up a cheap coffee maker pot.....not exactly lab glass quality, but they can handle heat cycles better than glass. They are still susceptible to thermal sock though.
So I would just add bleach and dissolve again? If I already added bonide?

That would not work so well since you diluted with water, and you used to SMB to drop the gold and since you are new at this you probably used an excess amount like most of us did when we were new.
Personally I would filter everything and start with fresh acid and dissolve just like you did the first time, then filter out the junk from your Teflon pan, and drop it with smb again.
Teflon is pretty chemical resistant so I don't think it would have put anything that would interfere in solution. Most likely the pan was scratched up and the acid was dissolving the iron under it and loosened the coating.

Last edited:
That would not work so well since you diluted with water, and you used to SMB to drop the gold and since you are new at this you probably used an excess amount like most of us did when we were new.
Personally I would filter everything and start with fresh acid and dissolve just like you did the first time, then filter out the junk from your Teflon pan, and drop it with smb again.
Teflon is pretty chemical resistant so I don't think it would have put anything that would interfere in solution. Most likely the pan was scratched up and the acid was dissolving the iron under it and loosened the coating.
There was barely any water at all in the pan. So it's not diluted much at all.

Question: was the pan aluminum? under the Teflon. HCL does not like aluminum so you might have some cement adhering to the pan itself. Like everyone else suggested, redissolve what cemented out and do another drop. If you are tight for funds, go to local thrift shop or tag sales and pick up some corning ware casserole and or frying pan and or old glass coffee pots until you pick up a few pieces of lab glass beakers and flasks.

Ok so I scraped everything I could off the pan. Teflon coating and all. Poured the solution into a coffee pot. Added more hcl and bleach to redisolve gold. Tested positive with stannous. I added smb to drop and it looks like it did I believe. There is alot of white on the bottom so it's hard to tell. Where do I go from here?

Ok so I scraped everything I could off the pan. Teflon coating and all. Poured the solution into a coffee pot. Added more hcl and bleach to redisolve gold. Tested positive with stannous. I added smb to drop and it looks like it did I believe. There is alot of white on the bottom so it's hard to tell. Where do I go from here?
Did you filter it after the Gold was dissolved?

Latest posts

Back