Help with a Refiner

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobby

Folks,

I'm a retired chemical engineer and have been in the scrap gold biz for over a year. I've been using NTR Metals pretty exclusively, but for the past 2 months, I've been getting smashed on their payouts.

Pretty much "every" batch is off 1% - 3% on the gold I predict. The most recent was off by 10%. Yep, all my profit for those days of biz was down the drain.

Three other scrap buyers there at the same time were also hugely surprised and disappointed by their payouts. One guy refused to sell and took his bar back. The interesting thing is he went back to NTR the following week, they reanalyzed it and he ended up with his original estimate. In essence, NTR admitted they made an analytical mistake.

Questions:

- any other refiners you can recommend?

- without having spent a bunch of time on this forum looking to process myself, any thoughts on me doing this myself?

Sorry if I sound rambling. I'm still angry...

You are certainly not the only one to have had troubles with the.I personally have not dealt with them,but given the opportunity I would pass,based on information that is here on the forum.
Here is what the last post about them here states,
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=9247&hilit=ntr&start=40#p112288
Some other members will help,as they get a chance to read your post.

We had the same problem with them here in So. Florida and quit using them altogether. Interestingly, the local rep visited us last week and explained to us that they did a pretty extensive purge of personnel due to all the complaints they had. I for one, will NEVER do business with them again.
Regards,
Joe

JoeS said:
We had the same problem with them here in So. Florida and quit using them altogether. Interestingly, the local rep visited us last week and explained to us that they did a pretty extensive purge of personnel due to all the complaints they had. I for one, will NEVER do business with them again.
Regards,
Joe

Whoop-tee-doo on the sales rep. Did he offer to give you some $ back?

Give me a few days, and I'll post up some data. After over a week of phone calls, I'm STILL waiting for a call from their VP's.

I haver a guy I have been working with in Dallas for several years, he is an independent but uses Dillon Gage most of the time for high grade. His name is Terry O'Malley and his number is 214 521 0676, tell him The Refiner49er referred you.

I have also used another outfit in the LA area quite a few times, they have been in business 30 years and their assays have been good for me, Bob Caro with The Buyers, 562 945 7276.

Either party is paying 98% unless it is a large quantity, and this of course is strictly my opinion from experience, therefore any comments from GRF members are definitely appreciated.

Thanks!

I've found another refiner in Dallas that I'm happy with, so far.

Ya'll give me a few days and I'll post up some data that you'll perhaps find interesting. It should stimulate discussion as to whether I need to continue looking for refiners (like the ones you suggest).

Although I've read the Hoke book over the past few days. A chemical engineer shouldn't do that: it stimulates evil thoughts. :mrgreen:

I should update this thread with good news from NTR. We've patched up our differences, and all is good now. My thanks to Dan Dement for his advice and help on this.

There are four refineries readily available to gold sellers in the San Antonio, TX area. It's to the point where I'm happy with all of the right now.

I don't want to pile on, but NTR does not have a sterling reputation when it comes to honest assays. If you're ever open to sending your gold elsewhere to be refined, please send me a message, depending on your quantity, my refinery be able to get you a better return.

Back