Help with separating gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorinneEllis

I used hydrogen peroxide and toilet bowl cleaner (with hydrochloric acid) to take the gold of off a few pins from a TV. I've had somewhat better luck in the past (sort of). Was wondering if anyone would know how to sort this out. I couldn't figure out how to add a picture here, but here is a link to it. (Screenshot)
Any help is greatly appreciated.

I used hydrogen peroxide and toilet bowl cleaner (with hydrochloric acid) to take the gold of off a few pins from a TV. I've had somewhat better luck in the past (sort of). Was wondering if anyone would know how to sort this out. I couldn't figure out how to add a picture here, but here is a link to it. (Screenshot)
Seems a dilute hydrogen peroxide was used, hence gold did not dissolve and has to be separated by some sort of filtration/collection and then re-fined. The filtrate may be tested by stannous chloride

Last edited:
It seems you did not get welcomed in when you entered in 2021.
So welcome to us.

Have you been studying anything since your arrival?

Here is something to study.

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

Forum rules : https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/board-policy-this-should-be-read-by-everyone.4646/

Can you give a bit more info?
How many pins? Weight or volume.
How many cleaner and which brand?
Strenght of H2O2.
Are the pins fully dissolved?
Is the solution viscous or slimy?
PH?

How much material do you have or get your hands on to process?

There is very little gold on plated pins. You need a lot of pins to even have enough gold to melt in a tiny button.
Foils and flakes look nice, but weigh nothing.

So lets first find out if it's a good idea for you to proceed with this venture.

Martijn.

Latest posts

Back