HF - Some Safety Measures in the Industry

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyJoystick

It has been pointed out by many how dangerous HF is. And rightfully so. I write this because I came across some mention of HF again in a thread. I would like to point out how we dealt with the safety issues in the company I worked for. And I hope that this helps people to understand the dangers of it.

A previous company I worked for was a total solution provider for the oil and petro-chemical industry. We would take on an entire shutdown of a refinery. Not many companies in South-East Asia pull this of.

One of the services we provided was chemical cleaning. We always tried hard to avoid the use of HF because of the dangers that inevitably come along with it. When we had to use HF we would bring along our own medical kit. We would go to the nearest emergency centre/hospital or first aid station (sometimes on-site). We would hand over the medical kit and all procedures. We would exchange phone numbers (24h, very important!) . If anything would go wrong (which fortunately never did as far as I know) we would apply first aid and get the patient out to the before mentioned professionals A.S.A.P

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is a level of danger that not even all hospitals/clinics etc. are ready to deal with. And it is so dangerous that we need to bring our own kit.

I am not the discouraging kind of guy. Quite the opposite actually. But please think not once, not twice but 20 times before you start using this stuff. If it goes wrong you're in trouble and you need help very quickly.

Here some guidelines, do's and don'ts:

- Be prepared.
- Know your nearest aid station.
- Make sure you have spoken to your aid station and make sure that they actually can help you. Go prepared and bring along an MSDS and any and all medical recommendations you may have or find regarding HF, and double check your sources if you take them from internet
- NEVER work with HF when you're alone. This is a no go. No discussion. No exception. (This, quite frankly, applies to working with any chemicals that may harm you...)
- Make sure you have transport available at all times in case you need to be shipped out. Having to wait for an ambulance is not an option.
- Make sure you have your own med kit handy. I am not going to give medical advice here. Not my field. Investigate this yourself before you even buy the stuff. (Correction: stuff is HF of course)
- Make sure that the person around is capable of helping you, does not panic and knows what to do in case of HF contact to your body.

Again, not trying to discourage anyone, just trying to create awareness.

And if anyone wonders the what the effects of HF are?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofluoric_acid
I am guessing that many of us here looked at all the chemical reaction and the possible applications of HF but forgot to look at the safety section below...

Here an extract of that:

- Because of the ability of hydrofluoric acid to penetrate tissue, poisoning can occur readily through exposure of skin or eyes, or when inhaled or swallowed.
- Symptoms of exposure to hydrofluoric acid may not be immediately evident, and this can provide false reassurance to victims, causing them to delay medical treatment.
- Despite having an irritating odor, HF may reach dangerous levels without an obvious odor.
- HF interferes with nerve function, meaning that burns may not initially be painful.
- Accidental exposures can go unnoticed, delaying treatment and increasing the extent and seriousness of the injury.
- Symptoms of HF exposure include irritation of the eyes, skin, nose, and throat, eye and skin burns, rhinitis, bronchitis, pulmonary edema (fluid buildup in the lungs), and bone damage.
- Once absorbed into blood through the skin, it reacts with blood calcium and may cause cardiac arrest.
- Burns with areas larger than 160 cm2 (25 square inches) have the potential to cause serious systemic toxicity from interference with blood and tissue calcium levels.
- In the body, hydrofluoric acid reacts with the ubiquitous biologically important ions Ca2+ and Mg2+.

Lovely stuff, isn't it?

Joey

Lovely stuff and one thing I'll never mess with. Thanks for sharing the information.

I did some digging and among the first links I found were Carnegie Mellon University with a page saying almost the same thing you did.

The most striking effects are that the toxic effect of exposure can mess with the calcium levels in the body and induce cardiac arrest... up to 24 hours after exposure.
So you might feel fine after getting a splash on your hand and a day later you get sick or die. That's why the rule is that every exposure to HF results in a hospital visit, even if you feel fine.

Yeah... lovely stuff.

Göran

Back