Hi all :D

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CR2008

Hello everyone, I am very new here, been lurking for some months on and off, and finally decided to get into PMs, especially when I see the future of the US dollar.
My main reason in wanting to get into refining is to accumulate gold for cheaper... I purchases some 14k scrap gold from work $650 from a coworker for $350, then I immediately sold it to my local PM dealer (at 80%), I thought I got a great deal until I realized that there are places (like Midwest refineries) that will give you higher :x ... but that first deal showed me that there was some great potential in scrap gold, especially if I can get gold filled scrap for FAR CHEAPER to get a higher rate of return. Since I got into PMs late, if I can accumulate gold cheaper, than means I can get more faster. That is my overall wish. The other day I got a great deal in 660gr 10k 1/10 Gold filled badges for $150 (it should theoretically hold more .8ounces) and since the cheapest I can get solid gold scrap from ebay is 50-60% melt, IMHO more potential lies in gold filled scrap etc.

I have a high school and intermediary college level experience in Chemistry, though it's been I look time since I actually had to use it, I work in a lab that does testing on food products so I have experience working with acids etc but since I want to refine at home, I am looking into reverse electrolysis or anything with lest chemical wastes. iShore also has a product called Subzero I may look into... I hope to learn a great deal here, so I can stack up on that pretty pretty yellow metal. :mrgreen:

My dream is to be able to accumulate at lest 1 ounce a week with gold filled type scrap, is this considered something "major" if I used most of free time (Fridays-Sunday) for this>?

Talk with you all later.

I wish I could find ebay scrap auctions for 50-60% melt.... all the ones I come across seem to go for 110% melt... :shock:

Fournines said:
I wish I could find ebay scrap auctions for 50-60% melt.... all the ones I come across seem to go for 110% melt... :shock:

Yea, I noticed that too... I consider myself lucky when I get them for 50-60% melt BUT the average I get them for is 80-85% melt... %85 (for wearable). Sometimes I wait a few seconds til the bid ends and then I bid :)

Latest posts

Back