honeycomb mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randythor

the question is to crush or not to crush your honeycomb before you proccess in poor mans AR.I am just a nub but ive read pretty much everything here some crush some don t as they don t like to filter.Any sugestions from some one who does cats ..

randythor said:
the question is to crush or not to crush your honeycomb before you proccess in poor mans AR.I am just a nub but ive read pretty much everything here some crush some don t as they don t like to filter.Any sugestions from some one who does cats ..

It's totally up to you and your capabilities.

Crushed material oviusly expose more surface area to react with reagents, so theoretically, a more efficient process can be made.
It all comes down to your setup.
There are different ways of filtering and i suggest you study them here.
Either crushing or not, constant agitation is necessary...

think of these elements before choosing your method.

Good luck

thanks Sam for your reply im not in any hurry i do have a lab but im doing gold right now. but the cats are stock piling i d rather keep things small so crushing is a good idea have vacume pump so filter no big deal .Safty first i have livestock no misstakes aloud wife would kill me .So like me to all nubbies read read read and then read more ...thanks sam your input has great weight..

randythor said:
thanks Sam for your reply im not in any hurry i do have a lab but im doing gold right now. but the cats are stock piling i d rather keep things small so crushing is a good idea have vacume pump so filter no big deal .Safty first i have livestock no misstakes aloud wife would kill me .So like me to all nubbies read read read and then read more ...thanks sam your input has great weight..

I thought my vacuum pump would make filtering the crushed cats easy as well. Turns out, I was wrong. The pump is 9.5 CFM, and it still slows to a drip.

Unless you have a filter press you really will need to let the solution settle and siphon it (assuming you crushed the material). Be sure to rinse the material several times, letting it settle each time before you siphon the solution again.

In the end, I found that the increased efficiency you get from crushing the material is more than negated by the extra hassle it takes to process all that powder.

But, that's just what I've found. Like Samuel-a said, it really depends on what you're set up to do. I would recommended just trying it for yourself. Do a little experimenting using crushed and non-crushed material, and adjust your process to suit your capabilities.

Latest posts

Back