Hong Kong gold refinery

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuDory

Dear Friends

I came across the "Gold Refining Forum" by accident. It is a great site. I look forward to reading and contributing.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend a person / refinery in Hong Kong that can buy about 20kg of dory bars (about 92% purity). I have all the paperwork. I prefer to deliver in the morning and to get paid in the afternoon (after assay) into my bank account. This could be a monthly business venture.

Can someone please advise on:
(i) price - what is a fair price (eg is is the pm LBMA rate less 2%)
(ii) refined quantity - assuming consistency in purity, does 20Kg of 92% translate into 18.4kg of 99.95% gold. Am I correct?

Regards, Vince :p

Dear Palladium
Thank you for replying - it gets the discussion rolling. As I said in my 1st post, this is a GREAT Forum. I have spent hours reading the valuable advice given by esteemed Members (including yourself). With regards to pricing, the advice given generally relates to the USA/Canada. After 4 hours of nonstop reading, I have become even more weary of dealing with a refinery (especially a Chinese/Hong Kong refinery) that I select from the telephone book. Hence, I respectfully seek the assistance of any esteemed Member of this Form that has had experience with a Hong Kong refinery. I note that one Member helped set up a refinery in Hong Kong several years ago. I am not a greedy person and I am happy to reward those that help me.

I agree with Palladium’s post. How does one accumulate 44 lbs of gold and not know what to do with it? The only way I see that as a possibility is through dishonest means. The fact that you are listed as being from Australia and are looking to send your gold to Hong Kong (refinery found in an Australian phone book) makes your post even more suspicious. And you are also willing to "reward" anyone who will help you in this "venture". Honestly this sounds like some kind of scam and I felt that way about half sentence into your post. I can tell you now if you are a scammer you've picked the absolute worst place online to try a scam. You might as well delete your account and move on. If I am wrong about this you have my apologies.

If you have a company and can get through all of the AML paperwork you will be treated well at Metalor. You will not walk in in 1 day and walk out with cash. You will walk in, witness a melt, take a sample and a 90% advance based on XRF. Then in 3 or 4 days you will settle on a fire assay. You will pay interest for the 3 or 4 days of time which you were advanced because they do not recognize the lot for its value until the assay results are in, so the advance is a "loan"

Metalor Technologies (Hong Kong) Ltd.
Suite 1705-9, The Metropolis Tower
10 Metropolis Drive, Hung Hom
Kowloon, Hong Kong
SAR P.R. China
Tel. +852 2521 4131
Fax +852 2845 1791

Dear 4metals

Thank you for your prompt reply. You advice is noted. I have never been to a refinery in my life. Hence, you excellent advice given to others in other posts gives me some insight in what to look out for when I visit the refinery for the first time.

For the record, I am an Australian citizen but I work in Hong Kong (9 out of the past 12 months) as a business consultant. Looking up the telephone book and finding the name/address of a refinery in Hong Kong is easy. Having regard to the the experiences of many posters on this Forum, I was looking for the name of trusted person employed by a refinery in Hong Kong whom I could contact. Frankly, I can't see how offering quid-pro-quo compensation for time expended translates into a scam.

In my humble opinion, the source/ ownership of the dory bars is not relevant to my question nor should it have creeped into the reply. The only relevant fact is that I will personally take the 20kg of dory bars to refinery and wait while it is assayed. I do NOT expect any payment until the assay result is known. Payment will be into my Hong Kong company (which has a Hong Kong bank account).

Not much of a welcome for my first post to the Forum, but the candid replies are appreciated. I hope that other prospective Members are not scared away by the sharpness of the language. For my part, I am not easily intimidated and I will strive to meaningly and constructively contribute to this Forum.

AuDory said:
Dear 4metals

Thank you for your prompt reply. You advice is noted. I have never been to a refinery in my life. Hence, you excellent advice given to others in other posts gives me some insight in what to look out for when I visit the refinery for the first time.

For the record, I am an Australian citizen but I work in Hong Kong (9 out of the past 12 months) as a business consultant. Looking up the telephone book and finding the name/address of a refinery in Hong Kong is easy. Having regard to the the experiences of many posters on this Forum, I was looking for the name of trusted person employed by a refinery in Hong Kong whom I could contact. Frankly, I can't see how offering quid-pro-quo compensation for time expended translates into a scam.

In my humble opinion, the source/ ownership of the dory bars is not relevant to my question nor should it have creeped into the reply. The only relevant fact is that I will personally take the 20kg of dory bars to refinery and wait while it is assayed. I do NOT expect any payment until the assay result is known. Payment will be into my Hong Kong company (which has a Hong Kong bank account).

Not much of a welcome for my first post to the Forum, but the candid replies are appreciated. I hope that other prospective Members are not scared away by the sharpness of the language. For my part, I am not easily intimidated and I will strive to meaningly and constructively contribute to this Forum.

Welcome to the forum.

AuDory said:
Not much of a welcome for my first post to the Forum, but the candid replies are appreciated. I hope that other prospective Members are not scared away by the sharpness of the language.
Surely you can understand how virtually all readers would look upon your post as a scam? After all, how often in your life have you encountered an individual who claims to have access to nearly 600 troy ounces of pure gold, and has no clue where it can be delivered? Generally, folks who are well enough connected to be so fortunate do not seek advice from strangers. Take note that it doesn't help that you are not addressing the material properly. For the record, the word is not dory. It is doré.

A couple things to keep in mind in life so you can avoid being taken.

Money does not seek people. It is people who seek money.

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Until you show us otherwise, welcome to the forum. It might help you to understand that we are cynics here, not easily swayed by grandiose claims.

Harold

Were it me, I would follow 4metals advice and definitely use Metalor. They are probably the largest refinery in HK and they have an excellent honest reputation worldwide. Some comments on this.

(1) The term "witnessing" simply means watching the material while it is being induction melted, pin sampled, poured into a bar, deslagged, and weighed. I would definitely watch continuously until all these steps are completed. This keeps everybody honest and eliminates doubts.

(2) They will give you half of the sample which will be in a pin (thick wire) form. They will fire assay their portion. If you want to have your portion assayed (I would), find a reliable lab that that can perform fire assays (a must - other methods like XRF are not as reliable). They will require about a 1 to 1.5 grams portion of your sample. Keep the rest of your sample. They should run the assay in duplicate or, better still, in triplicate.

(3) It sounds like your material is 22K jewelry scrap which, if exactly 22K, is 91.66% gold. However, karat gold is rarely what it is marked and you must be prepared for this. Most all is underkarated unless it is manufactured in a place like Britain, where it is more tightly controlled by the government. Also, it could contain a small amount of solder, which can slightly lower the gold percentage.

(4) You should expect a slight melt loss. This is mainly due to the oxidation of a small portion of the base metals in the alloys and the elimination of dirt. Since no gold is lost, the gold percentage should actually be slightly higher after melting than it was in the original material.

By the way, why do you think that the material is 92% gold? Is it because it is supposedly 22K?

Another place you might consider is this:
http://www.matthey.com.hk/company.htm

You do not need to find person who knows them or Metallor. These companies are so big, they do not need to scam you.
There are measures you can take to assure you will be treated fairly at those places.
I am at a loss that you do have problem to pick refiner in Hong Kong as all world leading gold refiners can be found there.

Patnor,

You British types always lean towards JM! They are an excellent choice as well and I deal with them often in west Deptford NJ location. But I believe that their Hong Kong office is just an office, no refining. I believe they sold that plant to Metalor.

Small world isn't it?

You may try NTR Metals. They are able to pay on same date at good service and return.

They have a lot of branches over the world and below is their HK office contact.

Room 1107 Fu Hang Industrial Building
1 Hok Yuen Street East
Hong Hom
Kowloon
Hong Kong SAR

Phone: (852) 3153 2859
Email: [email protected]
http://www.ntrmetals.com/Locations/Hong_Kong

Good luck

Heraeus is still there, I think. They bought Zenith Refinery in Kwun Tong, which I used to work for. I think they then moved it to Fanling.

If you have a company and can get through all of the AML paperwork you will be treated well at Metalor. You will not walk in in 1 day and walk out with cash. You will walk in, witness a melt, take a sample and a 90% advance based on XRF. Then in 3 or 4 days you will settle on a fire assay. You will pay interest for the 3 or 4 days of time which you were advanced because they do not recognize the lot for its value until the assay results are in, so the advance is a "loan"

Metalor Technologies (Hong Kong) Ltd.
Suite 1705-9, The Metropolis Tower
10 Metropolis Drive, Hung Hom
Kowloon, Hong Kong
SAR P.R. China
Tel. +852 2521 4131
Fax +852 2845 1791
Hongkong Metalor Refinery's contact e-mail address ? whatsapp no?

Back