How can you seperate Silver chloride from cement silver?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not separating to but you can use sodium hydroxide and sugar to convert the silver chloride into silver metal.
If both were going to be melted into a silver bar this is the method that I would use and after you rinse it really well do a low boil in hydrochloric acid to help get rid of the residual copper from the cemented silver and sodium hydroxide/sugar conversion.

This is not separating to but you can use sodium hydroxide and sugar to convert the silver chloride into silver metal.
If both were going to be melted into a silver bar this is the method that I would use and after you rinse it really well do a low boil in hydrochloric acid to help get rid of the residual copper from the cemented silver and sodium hydroxide/sugar conversion.
I was concerned as it could be hard to wash with a mix of Metal powders/Chlorides and gunk from the conversion.
Not much, means less than 100grams of total mass I guess?

Lol no not even close... it was really a retorical question
Well if you get into a situation like this (which is easily avoided by proper procedures),
one can do a full Lye/Sugar conversion with all its gunk and cleaning.
Or a halfway maybe, convert to Silver Oxide by NaOH and smelt to Silver or even a direct smelt with Soda Ash.
Maybe the dilute Sulfuric/Iron Conversion can be a better option??
Put the whole mass into a rotating drum with some dilute Sulfuric and some Iron pieces and run it until it is done.

If you need to divide AgCl and metallic Ag, a solution of 10% ammonia will transform the silver chloride into a complex, and the metallic silver will remain intact. Or just a very hot (95-100C) saturated sodium chloride (NaCl) solution. It also dissolves silver chloride (approx. 4 grams per liter). Precipitation from such solutions is trivial.

Do you use a dilute solution if HCl ?
How long of a boil ?
I’m really having trouble w/ copper in this last batch

Copper can be separated from silver by a mixture of 50% citric acid + hydrogen peroxide 30%. This mixture will slowly dissolve fine copper with gentle heating.

More chemicals to buy 😬
What would the ratio / method of citric and peroxide be ?
I don’t think dilute HCl Is doing the trick right now the solution is crystal clear and on a low boil. I think I’m going to filter rinse well and use my oxy/acetylene rig and melt this problematic batch of cemented silver with soda ash

Latest posts

Back