How do the pro's handle white gold?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qst42know

I don't recall this being discussed much.

How do the large refineries handle white gold?

Is it segregated and run separately?

Or is it all run together and the PGM's that might be present dealt with if they turn up?

qst42know said:
Is it segregated and run separately?

I don't really know what the big boys are doing. But what i do know is, that in any case (white/yellow) the gold is being treated for the removal of PGM's, so it doesn't really matter...

Separating white from yellow has some advantages though, mainly since you know what to expect: less silver, more nickel, more Pd, rhodium, different solution colors etc'...

This is my theory based on what i know on gold refining, i have never worked in a refinery neither related to one.
We have large refiners here, so their input is most welcomed .

The large refineries really don't care and I would suggest would prefer not to have it sorted out as they get all the values any way. It's usually the collector companies that sort the specific types as they can produce quantities of PGM bearing scrap to minimise the extra costs to recover them. I think from various discussions here on the forum that the US doesn't have the quantities of palladium bearing jewellery scrap that we have here in the UK and Europe due to the laws over nickel but even so few refiners actually want to pay a premium for the Pd bearing scrap.

Most of the pro's get in a melted bar which is usually a mixture of yellow and white gold in various karats. They really do not have the option to separate it as it comes in as a bar. For that matter they won't take the time to separate it if it comes in loose.

Their reasoning is simple, they all have minimum deductions for PGM's, chances are if you do not segregate and hold white gold until there is a large enough quantity, the PGM's will not meet the deductions and the refinery gets it for free. Usually you need a half an ounce of each individual precious metal before it is payable, and then at low percentages.

Collectors should be motivated to keep PGM bearing scrap separate to exceed the minimum deductions.

The big refiners are happy to take it for free. They're not stupid!

Latest posts

Back