How do you fix EW cells running at low amps and high voltage

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleB_WGMC

We recover Au and Ag from a pregnant solution after elution of activated carbon using electrowinning cells to plate a sludge onto the cathodes for further refining. Currently the EW cells are running low amps and high voltage. The cells have been cleaned and re-cleaned to no avail. I am offsite and trying to help. I know we can see high levels of selenium but I don't believe there is much other "trash" metal. Any thoughts? What sort of questions should I ask to troubleshoot the issue?
Thanks!

goldsilverpro said:
Sounds to me like resistance somewhere in the system. Connections, maybe?

So maybe the problem isn't the cell, it's in the electrical configuration feeding the cell? Interesting idea, I'll toss this idea to the E&I guys.

I got a little more background on the situation and some of the troubleshooting they've done already. We have 3 cells in series that normally run 3.5 - 4 V and 700 A with 12 mesh cathodes in each and a flow 20-32 gpm. The issue was first identified with the first cell so the flow was changed to just feed cells 2 & 3. Now we are running into the same problem with these cells. The voltage is 8 V with a current of 250 A so I do believe it's a resistance issue. I will see if we can at least eliminate the increased resistance from wiring or solution resistance. They have tried increasing, decreasing, and spiking the solution with caustic to improve conductivity but it didn't change anything.

samuel-a said:
Constituants, Ions concentration... pH...

So we have other fun times that we have very minimal analysis capabilities at site. We are sending off solutions for ICP. We do know that we have Au, Ag, Hg, Cu, Pb, Se, Ni in various concentrations. We do not have a conductivity meter :( which would very helpful right now.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Don't completely rule out your power supply. Is there an abnormal amount of heat building up in it? If it uses semiconductors arranged in a typical full wave bridge setup, you could have a diode problem (just guessing possibly a leaky diode allowing some AC to pass). Sometimes these things can be real buggers to troubleshoot. Finally, if the input is fed from a three phase source (or the output is three phases tied together), you could have lost one of the phases. Stranger things have happened. Let us know what you find. After rereading your post, these are unlikely.

Sorry, but when I reread your post, losing an input or output would most likely cause the voltage AND the current to drop. Higher voltage is really indicative of a higher resistance somewhere in the circuit. If you have an IR heat sensor, you may be able to point it at all your wires and connections and find a hot spot. If you can shut down the system, remove one of the power leads, and take a resistance measurement across the three cells, it should have a resistance somewhere on the order of 0.005 to 0.006 ohms. It will take a somewhat specialized instrument to read accurately down to those levels. When I worked at the power company we had an instrument called a DLRO (Digital Low Resistance Ohmmeter or Digital Low Reading Ohmmeter) for that job. DLRO's usually have 4 leads. Two supply DC at high current (ours ran at 50 amps) and the other two read the voltage drop across the load. Electronics inside the box provided the magical calculations and gave a digital reading in milliohms or microohms.

Something else you could try which would give the same results is with the cells in operation, take a voltage reading across each cell. If all cells read the same, then the problem is most likely common to the cells. If one cell reads higher than the other two by more than 10% I would suspect an issue with the higher voltage cell.

Sounds like passivation to me

You may deem it viable to switch plates once you see your current level out.

If you are making non-conductive surfaces you are slowing electrical conductivity in the (dendrites?), hence current drop and voltage increase, same power output?

Typically asymptotic behavior is observed during electrolysis in a closed cell.

Latest posts

Back