How much do you pay for your Chems?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agpodt77339

I am thinking about starting to refine after a couple months of collecting scrap, but I do not know how much to pay, and where to get my chemicals. I tried searching the forum for cheap places where other people get their chems., but I could only find a few. I found some of the items online, but would like to find them locally to avoid shipping costs. I plan on using AP, Nitric, and AR. Where do you get your chemicals? What brand? What other names do they have? How much are they? Some of the chemicals I know I will need are:

Sodium Nitrate(Nitrate of Soda)-Found online $7/4#, but high shipping
Urea- Found Online $7/5#, but high shipping
Muriatic Acid- Found Locally for 4.60 a gallon
Sulfuric Acid- Will use NAPA Battery Acid-Found Locally $15/5gal
H202- Walmart (Cheap) -Bought
Sodium Metabisulfite- Ebay About $5/# w/ shipping -Bought
Ammonium Chloride- Ebay About $6/# w/ shipping -Bought
Some kind of Test Solution(not sure what to use)
Clorox- Already have some

Please tell me if I missed anything(I probably did)

I know that these items do not cost that much, and it would save time to just buy them right now, but I am cheap and would like to save as much money as I can.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

You can save a few dollars by skipping the Urea. You don't need it, just boil your solutions down to a syrup three or four times and add HCl after each evaporation cycle. This removes the nitric as nitric oxides (brown fumes) without Urea. If you use AP or HCl-Cl you don't have any nitric to worry with and won't need Urea anyway.

I didn't see household ammonia (3-5%) clear unscented. It can be found at any grocery store.

If you are going to inquart or work with silver much distilled water is needed.

Depending on your the shipping costs you may be better off making your own ammonium chloride as well.

You'll need some Borax also (Walmart Cleaning Isle 20 Mule Team Borax).

Steve

Where can I find pure tin to make my Stannous Chloride?

Does anyone know any brands of fertilizer that they know are Nitrate of Soda? I cant find any "Nitrate of Soda" or "Sodium Nitrate" anywhere locally, but maybe some brands just call it something else.

Thanks,
Chris

"Nitrate of Soda" shouldn't be too hard to find. Try gardening / nursery stores with a wide selection of fertilizers, instead of big box stores.

-junkelly

New environmentally friendly fishing sinkers (some anyways) are pure
tin. (well, most likely pure enough to be considered pure, but not chemically pure, am I over thinking the problem again? :lol: )

Jim

Latest posts

Back