How much gold is in 14kt jewelry, 18kt jewelry, 10kt jewelry

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irv

I am curious of the members experience as to the actual gold content of diiferent lots of marked gold jewelry.

If you melted 10 ounces of marked 14kt jewelry what would the purity percent be?

same for a separate melt of 10 ounces of only 10kt jewelry

same for 10 ounces of marked 18kt jewelry

I know jewelry has been mfgr under karat over the years and was wondering if other members could share their experience with us

years ago I melted a large lot of 14kt jewelry and I seem to remember it assayed at 56.17%, does this make sense?

Irv, my experience is that most my scrap jewelry is about half a karat under; some is a full karat & I've had some as low as 2.5k under. The color of that particular "batch", (from the same client & bought at another country), gave me a hint that it was much lower than 14k. I was right. When I digested her material & precipitated, the "14k" was actually 11.5k. I'm glad I caught it & had paid accordingly.

I like to test the material properly every time, plus I deduct up to a karat if in doubt. The persons always leave happy, because the offers they've gotten from other outfits are ussualy very much lower. As one example, a lady brought some material & after testing it, I offered $920.00; she told me that at the gold place in the Mall she was offered $150.00, for the same amount of material. Needless to say, she came back twice more & also sent her son, plus recommended me to several of her friends.

Take care!

Phil

Back