How much urea required for neutralizing 10 litre aquaregia solution?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decentdude21

I want to neutralize aquaregia with urea. So I want to know how much urea required for neutralize aquaregia?

First an foremost, what you want is to destroy the surplus nitric.
Not neutralize which means bring it to a pH of 7.
Next is that Urea is not a good solution to do it.
Its an excellent fertilizer but not so good for the job you have at hand.
Best would be to not use too much nitric in the first hand.
Secondly if that is not possible, use Sulfamic acid in hot solution.
Or evaporate to syrup and add HCl.

Now why are you asking this same question once more???
We have answered you several times.

Study the replies you have already received and study Hokes book in detail.
You seem to need it.

I want to neutralize aquaregia with urea. So I want to know how much urea required for neutralize aquaregia?
Very general question, very general answer - enough to neutralize the excess nitric :) We cannot answer this question, because we do not know how much excess nitric is in there.

As Ygdrassil pointed out, and it is discussed here regularly like every week - urea isn´t very good nitric destroying reagent, despite you see it been used in nearly every YT video. Urea does not kill nitric acid, only nitrous compounds like nitrous acid or nitrosyl chloride. Nitric acid form a salt with urea. So fizzing you observe after adding urea isn´t nitric destroyed, but N(III) remains destroyed to elemental nitrogen.

Abandon urea for de-NOx-ing, and obtain sulfamic acid instead. Heat the solution to 85-90°C and add in small portions to observe the reaction - it could be very violent from the start. You can easily source sulfamic acid as grout remover, or as cleaning agent for coffee machines scale. And it is also purchasable online, and also in bulk as it is quite common chemical. For few euros/kg. Not restricted chemical in most places in the world. Added benefit of dropping lead from the solution as byproduct of nitric decomposition using sulfamic acid is sulfuric acid :)

Urea cause formation of very toxic compounds in solution like N-chloroureas, chloramines, nitrogen trichloride (sensitive explosive). In addition, it is very inconvenient to have urea at waste treatment stage since upon addition of hydroxide it liberates ammonia as it slowly decompose.

Very general question, very general answer - enough to neutralize the excess nitric :) We cannot answer this question, because we do not know how much excess nitric is in there.

As Ygdrassil pointed out, and it is discussed here regularly like every week - urea isn´t very good nitric destroying reagent, despite you see it been used in nearly every YT video. Urea does not kill nitric acid, only nitrous compounds like nitrous acid or nitrosyl chloride. Nitric acid form a salt with urea. So fizzing you observe after adding urea isn´t nitric destroyed, but N(III) remains destroyed to elemental nitrogen.

Abandon urea for de-NOx-ing, and obtain sulfamic acid instead. Heat the solution to 85-90°C and add in small portions to observe the reaction - it could be very violent from the start. You can easily source sulfamic acid as grout remover, or as cleaning agent for coffee machines scale. And it is also purchasable online, and also in bulk as it is quite common chemical. For few euros/kg. Not restricted chemical in most places in the world. Added benefit of dropping lead from the solution as byproduct of nitric decomposition using sulfamic acid is sulfuric acid :)

Urea cause formation of very toxic compounds in solution like N-chloroureas, chloramines, nitrogen trichloride (sensitive explosive). In addition, it is very inconvenient to have urea at waste treatment stage since upon addition of hydroxide it liberates ammonia as it slowly decompose.
He has asked the same before, and it has been answered in detail before.

Probably not the proper thread to ask this question but I'm going to toss it out here anyway. With sulfamic acid, what is the sign that you have neutralized all of the nitric?

can we use NaHCO3 instead

As Orvi said - the answer is -------

NO !!!

Bases - like carbonates or hydroxides target BOTH the nitric AND the HCl in the AR by changing/adjusting the Ph of BOTH acids

If you have free (excess) nitric in your AR you DO NOT want to change the Ph of both acids --- rather you want to "drive off" - "get rid of" - just the free/excess nitric - this is called de-NOxing the AR

You actually "drive" the NOx (or NO2) out of the solution - NOT neutralize the acid (adjust Ph)

You can do that by -------

1) heating the solution which will drive off the excess NOx (not as easy as it sounds)

2) or dissolve metal (gold - or - if done right copper) until all the free/excess nitric in the AR is used up (my preferred method)

3) or use sulfamic acid (not sulfuric acid) as suggested by many/most members of this forum

Here is how sulfamic acid works to "drive off" the excess nitric ------

HNO3 + H3NSO3 → H2SO4 + N2O + H2O

Kurt

So, How much Urea do I need to neutralize the Nitric acid in my Aqua Regia? (This was an attempt at trying to put a smile on some faces! I have read all threads and just thought it should be asked one more time!!) Have a great day everyone!! Be safe and stay Healthy!!

Brett

Yes, it can be made by accident. My previous neighbor responded to a mystery explosion that turned out to be an amateur refiner that got his information from YouTube. That was many years ago, but he still remembers the smell of explosive residue and burning flesh.

That is probably why he is training officer for a different department now.

Time for more coffee.

That was many years ago, but he still remembers the smell of explosive residue and burning flesh.
I once saw a car accident happen in right in front of me. Big flames. Several of us pulled the driver of the embroiled corvette out of his car. I will never forget that smell. Gas, fiberglass, flesh. Very bad, but he lived. Tried to bury that memory more than 40 years ago, but when I read your post, it came right back.

Dave

Latest posts

Back