How to dissolve high-silver karat scrap?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlesteve

I've been wondering... I know some commercial refiners dissolve karat scrap directly (for stone removal) without inquarting first. How is this done efficiently? I have tried processing 10k & 14k in heated AR - most dissolves rapidly but some high-silver pieces take a day or longer. I know I could inquart but sometimes there are stones I don't want to heat, and are difficult to remove by hand. I know there must be a better (faster) way - any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

The difference between dissolving gold for refining and dissolving gold for stone removal is when doing stone removal it is to efficiently remove the stones, and for that efficiency the gold refining suffers. Often the silver content is too high for the gold to dissolve completely and the reaction leaves pieces behind. Usually the pieces are broken up enough for the stones to fall free but occasionally a soak in ammonium hydroxide followed by additional aqua regia treatment is needed. Some refiners will dissolve the silver chloride by tumbling in sodium thiosulfate solution. Both solutions are effective, some don't like the cloud the ammonia causes in the refinery so they choose thiosulfate. If your shop is messy and buckets of chemical solutions in different stages of processing are strewn about, I would stay away from the ammonia.

Generally speaking if the scrap can be melted, assayed bars are mixed to bring the silver content below 9 percent and the alloy is made into cornflake shot for digestion. The resulting chlorides will contain some gold, often 1% of the weight of the recovered silver. The chloride is simply reduced and melted into bars with gold as an impurity and processed in a silver cell. That way all of the gold is recovered eventually.

The difference is commercial refining does not use the inquarting technique often because of the lot size usually processed. Refining of karat gold in aqua regia can consistently produce gold in excess of .9995 fine and that is usually the path chosen by small and intermediate refiners.

4metals is as usual right on the button here. The only way to get the stones out is using hot AR but if you want to refine at the same time it's not the perfect result and when the stones don't actually fall free they are easy to remove with a little crushing. Personally I always give the jewellery a good soak in hot dilute nitric for an hour before going onto AR which seems to help with the stone removal.

Nick,

How effective is the nitric leach? Do you recover much silver from it? I would think it would be more effective in 10K material (9K on your side of the pond) but it couldn't hurt on any karat. What concentration of nitric do you use?

I use 50/50 water to nitric mix and work on the theory that even if it only etches the surface of the carat scrap when it then goes into the hot AR it gives it a head start in removing the small amount of metal that typically holds the stones in, it also removes any silver settings and works fairly well on 9 k white gold that has silver as it's major alloy which is a typical alloy here in the UK,we also get fairly large quantities of gold and silver eternity rings which are a pain if put straight into AR. I don't think it removes great amounts of silver or other base metals but I feel it gives me a head start to recover the stones easily which is what the real pain can be,as I'm sure you know!

Thanks for the quick answers - the nitric leach is easy enough so I'll give it a try. Then once the stones are out I'll switch to a more efficient method.

Steve

Latest posts

Back