How to melt silver chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
o...tq vey much Chris....tat's what i needed..tq again..1 more question..can i use normal sugar which is dissolved in water until its really concentrated rather than Kyro syrup??

Karo syrup and cane´s sugar are different sugars,the first one is a reducer sugar(I mean,works for Ag2O reduction to metallic silver),cane´s sugar is a non reducer sugar so it can not reduce Ag2O to metallic silver.

Here is a trick,you know,just between PM refiners:

Follow Karo´s syrup process until you have the black mud of Ag2O with NaOH solution,add cane´s sugar(previously dissolved in tap water) and mix vigorously until all the solution bolis(you must have a big enough vessel because reaction is pretty violent,like a volcanos´s eruption) and you will get pure silver.

Cane´s sugar reacts with NaOH to form a reducer sugar.I do not know wich one it is but I use cane´s sugar instead of Karo syrup.

Kindest regards.

Manuel

kesavan said:
o...tq vey much Chris....tat's what i needed..tq again..1 more question..can i use normal sugar which is dissolved in water until its really concentrated rather than Kyro syrup??
This is the last time you are being told. Stop using text lingo. If you do not, you will be banned from the forum.

Speak in clear, concise English, so there is not a chance that others can misunderstand what you say.

Harold

Thank you Juan.I will do like what you suggested.Hope to get a good result.Thank you again.

And Mr.Harold Im sorry for using test lingo.I don''t know the rules here.Im soryy.

How to melt silver chloride
1-remove the water excess of the silver chloride with a vacuum ( with a bottle to make vacuum)
2- put the wet silver chloride in a crock pot
3-bake at medium heat for 4 hours, until the chloride dry and form a mass of dried mud
4-grinding the dry mass, mix it at 100 percent with sodium bicarbonate, and melt it in a ceramic crucible
Doesn't melting Silver Chloride just make a big mess... with a bunch of contaminated material?

not understanding why you would do this

what are you dissolving.
I am dissolving silverplated items like platters old tea kettles some old electrical components after I clean them and cut them into manageable pieces. Because these items contains other base metals I don't know if the magnetic spinner would mess with them or cause damage?

Last edited:
I am dissolving silverplated items like platters old tea kettles some old electrical components after I clean them and cut them into manageable pieces. Because these items contains other base metals I don't know if the magnetic spinner would mess with them or cause damage?
It is not economical to dissolve plated Silver. Too expensive by chemicals and too expensive to treat the waste.
Only feasible way is water cell.
So drop the spinner and acids.

I do that process too but I get tired of scrubbing and making sure all the silver is off. On top of this I have found a couple time there was more then silver that come off in the water cell unless I am doing it wrong which is likely. Could you describe your process to clarify.

I do that process too but I get tired of scrubbing and making sure all the silver is off. On top of this I have found a couple time there was more then silver that come off in the water cell unless I am doing it wrong which is likely. Could you describe your process to clarify.
I have not done it, but there are several threads regarding the same.
Search the forum and read them.
You scrub nothing with the water cell. The plating crumbles and fall off, then you process the powder.

Edit for spelling.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am a little confused. But it would seem to me, that dissolving complete pieces of silver plated ware. Is a huge waste of chemicals.
Why not sand blast the plating off. Wash blasting media with HCL to remove the base metals and rinse with water. Then use nitric to dissolve the powdered silver.
That's what I plan to do with some plated ware I recently acquired.
I will be blasting inside a cabinet made from an Old plastic dishwasher. And will have a water mister inside to eliminate dust.
So I won't lose values to a dust collector.

Edited to make clear that it is the "blasting media" is what is to be washed with the acids. And correct spelling errors. Phone often changes words before it submits a posting.
Boy do I hate auto correct.

Last edited:
Back