how to selectively drop precious metals from Iodine/Iodide solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studfin

I'm trying out this new solution of Iodine/Iodide and wanted to know how to drop AU, AG, PT, AND PD individually, I'm new at this with Iodine/Iodide solution so I'm not sure on how to go about it. I'm hoping that I can get some tips on how to do this without losing any of the precious metals, I have already done some with gold plated materials with great success. But I also have old computer boards from the 80's and 90's that I wanted to do, but wanted to wait until I know more about dropping precious metals selectively before I proceed on with this any suggestions.

You can drop all of them with either
1. Ascorbic acid
2. Copper foil or Zn if there are only PM's
3. NaOH, hot (as oxides)
After that, dissolve Pd and Ag in HNO3, then KCl...etc

Unless you are very lucky you will not encounter many PGMs in e scrap, unless you are treating old USSR materials, and if you do they tend to be encapsulated.
If all you are doing is dissolving surface plated materials the chances are you will only be dealing with gold.

FrugalRefiner thank you for deleting the other post I was browsing through this site and decided to post a question about Iodine/Iodide solution, after I did the post I realized that I posted it in the wrong category.

Lino1406 thank you for the advice I try it later, I don't have any Nitric acid but I do have Sodium Nitrate which I heard is a substitute for Nitric acid. I'm not sure what KCl, is it Potassium Chloride?

nickvc as far as Pt I got a box full of platter disc from hard drives and for the rest of the PGMs I got a big bin full of old computer boards that I been desoldering all the components on the boards and keeping them separated for processing later.

Thank you all for helping me on this

Sodium nitrate will not help in this case, unless you use H2SO4 instead of HCl to leave Ag in the dissolved form. KCl is for separating Ag from Pd by precipitating AgCl (sorry, there's still way for you to go)

jimdoc said:
studfin said:
nickvc as far as Pt I got a box full of platter disc from hard drives

You need to search the forum on that one. You will be disappointed for sure.

What Jim is saying is that you are going to find out that there is actually little to - NO - Pt on HD platers

Pt & HD platters is for the most part a rumor not a fact & you will find yourself wasting your time money & chems for nothing

Your better off selling them as scrap aluminum

Kurt

The only way to make money on HDD disks over the price of aluminium which is what they are worth anyway is to make wind chimes from them and sell them on craigslist. Be aware though do not sell any to your neighbors if you live in a windy place as there is a chance they will drive you mad.
That sure is a money maker.

Attachments

• WindChimeStory_1.jpg
    WindChimeStory_1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 73
I'm trying out this new solution of Iodine/Iodide and wanted to know how to drop AU, AG, PT, AND PD individually, I'm new at this with Iodine/Iodide solution so I'm not sure on how to go about it. I'm hoping that I can get some tips on how to do this without losing any of the precious metals, I have already done some with gold plated materials with great success. But I also have old computer boards from the 80's and 90's that I wanted to do, but wanted to wait until I know more about dropping precious metals selectively before I proceed on with this any suggestions.
Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back