i have several problems but the latest....

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeker

Using Nitric and HCL....
Did reaction pulled off heat and filtered til clean added sulfamic acid to neutralize nitric filtered again.
Added SMB color change and a drop but came back 10 min later it went back to original green ....more SMB color change drop .....came back 10 min later back to original green added way too much smb 3rd time i could see it in the bottom so now heating on low to remove smb but still have green liquid......now what?

What Patnor is advising is to add a piece of solid copper to your solution, the copper will go into solution and eventually force the gold back out, this is cementation, the powders that you can see in the solution or on the copper will be your gold,allow time for this reaction to occur, then put the powders into a beaker and cover with plenty of HCl and slowly add small increments of nitric allowing all reactions to cease before adding more, it would help to heat your solution while doing this.

I saw a video where a guy used sulfamic to kill the nitric and when he dropped his gold it did the same thing. I've never used sulfamic to kill nitric, but it seems like it doesn't work.

Maybe next time try evaporating, this method works every time. You could probably go ahead and do it with what you've got going on right now, with your SMB saturated solution. They say to evaporate down till a syrup, but you can take it down till everything is dried crystals and there's no liquid left.

Sulfamic works best at 80 deg c or above. I usually do it at 90. Concentrated solution as well. Do it before filtering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much material was there and what type please? What volume of solution?

Did you stannous test it before and after?

What kind of amount of gold are you expecting?

Sorry to ask dumb questions, but unfortunately I'm not telepathic :D

Jon

Sulfamic acid denoxxing works just fine, the top tip is to use a gold button to show you when the Nitric is all converted, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN8-7q21Cnw

nickvc said:
What Patnor is advising is to add a piece of solid copper to your solution, the copper will go into solution and eventually force the gold back out, this is cementation, the powders that you can see in the solution or on the copper will be your gold,allow time for this reaction to occur, then put the powders into a beaker and cover with plenty of HCl and slowly add small increments of nitric allowing all reactions to cease before adding more, it would help to heat your solution while doing this.

Some very sound advice right there.

As for Sulfamic acid and denoxing. I always have some on hand and use it occasionally. If you follow the above advice in processing your gold you will have a minimal use for it. It is good to have on hand for testing for excess nitric, even if you use heat to denox. After using it to test you are no longer working on assumption but have information to decide on your step. Knowing is better than assuming.

The best way is to use just enough nitric and avoid all denoxxing procedures. Just my 2. But as already said sulfamic does work.

Careful addition of Nitric. I guess when you will have to pay what I used to it will teach you to never use too much.
I never had any need of boiling down or using sulfamic. I do keep one about 10g gold button which I put in solution where I want to drop gold from. That always sorted all nitric acid which was present.

Latest posts

Back