Identifying best process for unknown items(pics included)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattttyD

Hey all,

I’ve come across some items that I have never seen. I have about 200-300. I got these from a tech company that make and test IC chips. I was wondering if I should

A. Put them in either nitric or Hcl and get rid of base metals then AR or.

B try reverse electroplating?

Also does anyone know what these are and what metal the red wire is?

Thanks for any help. B9B7075F-2B26-4D4E-9DAA-685189EAE5CB.jpeg000CE86E-762C-46F0-AD2E-D4A5A2C536D1.jpeg

Hi, red wires are probably "winding wire" enameled copper wire inductors. Unit looks like RF hybrid or similar device which is encased in a metal enclosure . Base metal would probably be Iron based, check whether its magnetic or not. I would try de-plating keeping cell temperature very low. Both dissolving BM and plating will be acid consuming and troublesome so I wont go there. lets see what others have to say. Good luck

Knowing what the base metal is will help in getting advice as certain metals can be more troublesome than others.

nickvc said:
Knowing what the base metal is will help in getting advice as certain metals can be more troublesome than others.

Ok. I’m pretty new to this. Do you have any suggestions on how to test for types of metals?

Well, don't attempt refining as yet........ first read safety and precautions........then the basics, concepts, chemistry, then plan how will you do it. Its all art and science no magic.
Try to find "how to identify different metals and alloys" used in electronics. then do some testing start with a magnet then proceed to chemical testing , develop inference that is how I learned Gold Refining. Go for it. :)

Latest posts

Back