In lieu of Nitric acid.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watcher

Supporting Member
Evening all, it seems that Canada doesn't want amateur gold refiners... First was nitric acid and now it seems the alternative isn't available in Canada, "stump remover" aka potassium nitrate, I'm now looking at a plan C which doesn't exist yet 😉
Any suggestions?
Please and thank you.

Evening all, it seems that Canada doesn't want amateur gold refiners... First was nitric acid and now it seems the alternative isn't available in Canada, "stump remover" aka potassium nitrate, I'm now looking at a plan C which doesn't exist yet 😉
Any suggestions?
Please and thank you.
There was a recent post from someone else who is in Canada with the same problem of not being able to buy nitric acid there .
You still have several alternatives or substitutes that will allow you to make your own nitric, poor man's nitric even aqua regia with substitutes.
If you will use the search bar and search exactly for
"nitric acid Canada"
If you will find the post from just a few days back and that thread has a few actual products that you can still buy in your country to make nitric acid for refining.

There's been countless posts on making your own nitric substitute and some very detailed procedures to make it.
Read through as many post as you can find and you will have a very good idea of how you can make your own nitric and what product is needed.
Of course if you need to ask a question you will get helped with finding the answer.
You need to read the Hoke book thoroughly several times, that book is found in our library and learn how to refine safely, how the chemistry works, and how to properly deal with the waste solution as well.
Good luck !!

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get the idea to use baking soda to do this?
"Google" Combine solutions of calcium nitrate Ca(NO3) and sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) to yield sodium nitrate and calcium carbonate NaNO3. Sodium nitrate will remain in the solution and calcium carbonate will precipitate out as a white solid. This following equation shows this reaction: Ca(NO3)2 + Na2CO3 = 2 NaNO3 + CaCO3.

Any suggestions?
Please and thank you.

Not completely sure where in Ottawa you are, but Cotnam Ace hardware might sell Calcium nitrate in the garden section. You also might be able to get calcium nitrate on Amazon by searching Masterblend hydroponic nutrient.

"Google" Combine solutions of calcium nitrate Ca(NO3) and sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) to yield sodium nitrate and calcium carbonate NaNO3. Sodium nitrate will remain in the solution and calcium carbonate will precipitate out as a white solid. This following equation shows this reaction: Ca(NO3)2 + Na2CO3 = 2 NaNO3 + CaCO3.
Why not use the Calcium Nitrate as it is?

This is correct - BUT - in the end you still do not have the nitric acid you are looking for - you are only converting the calcium nitrate to sodium nitrate

Granted - once you have converted the calcium nitrate to sodium nitrate you can use the sodium nitrate to make your poor mans nitric with sulfuric acid

But you can also make poor mans nitric with calcium nitrate & sulfuric acid - so why the extra step of converting calcium nitrate to sodium nitrate ?

You can make poor mans nitric with any nitrate salt plus sulfuric acid

Potassium nitrate + sulfuric = poor mans nitric

sodium nitrate + sulfuric = poor mans nitric

Calcium nitrate + sulfuric = poor mans nitric

Calcium nitrate is actually the preferred nitrate for making poor mans nitric - the reasons for why it is preferred have been post several times here on the forum & can be found doing a search for "poor mans nitric"

Kurt

you can use cold packs from the drug store, I can't remember all of the ingredients but the main one is ammonium nitrate. Also Alphachem in Mississauga will sell anyone nitric acid (last I talked with them). Don't have it shipped the fees are a killer. If you go personally you can pick it up and save on the fees.

you can use cold packs from the drug store, I can't remember all of the ingredients but the main one is ammonium nitrate. Also Alphachem in Mississauga will sell anyone nitric acid (last I talked with them). Don't have it shipped the fees are a killer. If you go personally you can pick it up and save on the fees.
Awesome, that's good to know, I have family down that way!
😉

Back