introducing Daveedo

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAVEEDO

well hello to the world of pm refiners. my name is Daveedo and i am completely new to recovering precious metals . i started collecting beer cans from my dad at the age of 12. and now (at the age of 30) here i am 95% ready to recover gold from AP / AR and a long road its been. i started scrapping aluminum cans and when the college my father worked at got struck by lightening, the whole lower campus needed to have a lot of giant copper cables replaced. so along to work with dad i went. i couldn't see throwing thousands of feet of 2 and 3 inch copper wire away like the bosses said to, and there was thousands of feet of it. so we stripped it and cut it into small lengths and threw it in dads van. any time he had to change copper or brass pipe, we kept the one that was replaced. and before long i had a basement full of copper and brass. not to mention the trash bags of beer cans from dad lol. so i guess Ive been a scrapper for 18 years now and every time I've thought I've struck gold something bigger and better came along. last year i stumbled across a video on YouTube about a man recovering gold from computers. i said to my self, David, you need to learn how to do that. so i began reading ,and reading, and slowly started collecting computers and green boards. this week i started ordering my chemicals and crucible and furnace bricks. so I'm almost ready to preform my first bath with what I've collected and i must admit, i am very excited. all I've been doing for the last month is taking notes, reading hokes book, among others, watching videos, and learning, learning, and learning. so greetings to all. i have already met a few people in the forum who gave me some pointers as well as something they created to bring awareness to my community about recycling computers properly and you all are so very helpful and considerate and i want to thank you for your help. i am currently planning a computer drop off in my community where I'm going to take out adds in the local newspaper, pin up posters and mail out the flier a man on here made for me. thanks Joe, i really appreciate it. and my church parking lot will serve as the drop off zone. where all weekend your able to drop off your junk electronics and i will recycle them for free, rather than pay the town to throw it away. and i can get what i need from them and scrap what i don't need. I'm trying to turn my hobby into a project helping my community. so that's that, thanks for the welcoming to the forum and i hope i don't bug too many people but make friends rather.

thank you
Daveedo

Daveedo, how much have you read so far from the information here?
It is very important to first learn about the safe use of the chemicals, because they can seriously harm you &/or kill you. Be patient & read starting with http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3781

Download free copy of Hoke's: http://tinyurl.com/mfnyhs

Also read here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=796&p=114823&hilit=steve#p6873

That should help get you started.

Take care & please be safe!

Phil

Welcome Daveedo.

Your starting in exactly the right way by reading while you collect your scrap for refining, as we have pointed out to many newbies it's not going anywhere unless you mess up with your processing.

Go to Lazersteves site there is a video I believe of the AP process as well as many other videos of processes and useful supplies available to buy as are the videos.
Use the search function,top right, to clue yourself up on anything you don't understand or want more information on but if you get stuck or can't fully understand a process or a phrase post a question and help is on hand.
Please remember that the chemicals we use can be extremely dangerous and most are highly corrosive so safety for you, your family, neighbours and the environment is a must, there's many posts on safety and safe disposal of our wastes please take the time to read and understand them.
This can be a brilliant hobby with even the most experienced members learning something new on a regular basis as the subject you are now studying is huge, take your time and start slow and small and definitely start with Hokes testing experiments as this will give you the best insight into what exactly you have and where.
When you feel ready to start post exactly what you propose to recover and how and which method you intend to eventually refine your values with and a guiding hand will be there to ensure your safety and to point you in the right direction to succeed.

thaks guys safety is always first and foremost. i would be devistated if something unsafe or an accident happen due to what im dong. so believe me i plan on being as safe as possible. and i have watched every video lasersteve put on his website but thanks for the concern you can never be to safe. i started off on this forum by reading everything first. it took a while but any and all safety posts were read by me as well as notes were taken. so thats why isaid im 95% ready to start my first bath, and wont start it until im 110% ready too. thanks again

DAVEEDO

Its good for us to know that you have been educating yourself for a while with all the do's & don't & that you feel confident. If that's the case, you need to decide what material you want to process first & the process best fitted for such. And BEFORE you start the process, let us know your "plan".
That way you can be guided, reassured or corrected if need be.

Take care Daveedo, & be safe!

Phil

DAVEEDO---

At some point, you will realize that you need to build a fume hood. Hopefully, before the wind shifts and you get a nasty dose of fumes.

I would recommend building one first. Even a rudimentary one would be much better than none. There are a few threads about different ways of doing them.

You probably already know not to try recover or refining indoors, without one. And even with a fume hood, never do it inside a residence. An unused garage or shed would be best. Even slight acid fumes will rust whatever is nearby.

eeTHr said:
DAVEEDO---

At some point, you will realize that you need to build a fume hood. Hopefully, before the wind shifts and you get a nasty dose of fumes.

I would recommend building one first. Even a rudimentary one would be much better than none. There are a few threads about different ways of doing them.

You probably already know not to try recover or refining indoors, without one. And even with a fume hood, never do it inside a residence. An unused garage or shed would be best. Even slight acid fumes will rust whatever is nearby.

well i have a hood fan for doing this work in my garage.along with gloves, goggles and a respirator. i even have a lab coat because what kind of expirement would it be without one? lol. anyway i will employ safety at all times. as ive said safety is first and foremost. i want you to know how confident i am that i will be able to do this. only because i have all of you to guide me along te way. i am not one to get big headed, and never would be doing this type of refining. thanks for looking out for my safety. eveyone i have met on here are a breed of their own kind. and so nice and willing to help other people suceed. im so gratefull i have found this forum

DAVEEDO said:
i even have a lab coat because what kind of expirement would it be without one?

Ah, I knew that I was missing something. Just couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. Thanks! I wonder if they have those at the Thrift Store? :lol:

P.S. The recommended air draw is 100 CFM per square foot of opening in the front of the hood. And that's when the reaction is inside the fume hood. It's actually a box, not just an overhead hood. If you dont' have this, you will rust everything in your garage. Everything. And I you can imagine what it will do to your lungs. You can get nitric burns in your lungs, but not get severe symptoms until two weeks later. Then you die. Seriously.

P.S.S There are no respirator cartridges for nitric. Only a supplied-air type will work. But even then, what will you do with a rusted out car and tools? Think fume hood.

by the way, i thought i would mention this. i have a son named david,and i wont go into the whole story but he got stuck with the nickname Daveypoo. we have called him that for more than 10 years now. :lol:

Back