Introduction to flame testing the salts

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I was having trouble using water from our well, after doing a flame test found that it contained sodium.

Ni-Chrome wire can be salvaged from any electric heater element for use in these experiments detailed in the attached file.

Using the techniques outlined in the file it should make if easy for us new to refining to identify those unknown salts. Or to perform tests on our well water for purity.

Interesting subject!

The Ammen book, "Recovery and Refining of Precious Metals", has an excellent section - about 40 pages - on flame testing using a blowpipe, mainly for ores. I know it's in the 1st edition published in 1984. I don't know about the 2nd edition. The 1st edition was available as a free download on Rapidshare, but it's no longer there.

Here's a ton of free book downloads on the subject:
http://books.google.com/books?q=blowpipe%20testing&as_brr=1

A long time ago, I played around with this just a little, but it is something I've always wanted to delve into further. Seems like it could be a very valuable aid, especially for the miner. I can also see refining applications for it.

Platdigger said:
Why not buy one.
I feel mine was worth the money.

Oh, and yes Chris, it is in the 2nd adition also.

Oh no!. The electronic file I can take everywhere, and the physical book would not be portable and it would cost me money. I'm not desperate, I can wait for the right price!. :lol:

Seriously, I stopped buying books and info many years ago, unless they are for inmediate business applications. Everything is free or nearly free in the information age. Like it or not, it is what it is. :shock:

Well. My aim is to have printed version of whatever is interesting for me and in electronic format. That is becouse electronic format is not fail-safe. Your memory stick can decide to not to work again, your cd/dvd may get scratched, your hdd shorted.... Too many ways how to loose information. I do not warrant to printing out everything, but things I hold as informational-valuable will be printed.
What if there will be problem with electricity? That old book sill be readable long time.

patnor1011 said:
Well. My aim is to have printed version of whatever is interesting for me and in electronic format. That is becouse electronic format is not fail-safe. Your memory stick can decide to not to work again, your cd/dvd may get scratched, your hdd shorted.... Too many ways how to loose information. I do not warrant to printing out everything, but things I hold as informational-valuable will be printed.
What if there will be problem with electricity? That old book sill be readable long time.

I like to have both the PDF and hard copy when I can. I like the positives of both media types.The PDF's can be on a laptop or thumb drive,and you can always make backup copies easier than photocopying the physical books.And you can find PDF's of books you cannot find,or afford.
And the physical books are good for when your eyes hurt from being on the computer too long.And they look good in my library.

Jim

On this page you will find Ammen's book in rar. that still works.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1379&start=40

Back