Introduction

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 70521

Hello all, I am new to the reclamation world. I have been working in a field upgrading old electronics to run on newer networks. All the old parts have been getting thrown away and it bothers me, all those shiny bits just getting tossed out. So, like a lot of other people I watched a video and decided to see if I could. I read an instructable by a guy called Railes and he points people here to this site. So here I am with a couple motherboards, Pentium 4 processors and a box full of 80's electronics. Im starting out simple with his method of soaking in muriatic acid and H2O2, it that keeps me excited I will start investing in more.

thanks,
Matt

Matt do yourself a favour and stop messing with chemicals as you are now producing corrosive and toxic fumes and highly toxic waste solutions that need treating properly before disposal.
Of this sounds harsh I apologize but if you create a real mess your interest in solving it will evaporate very quickly so put the chemicals away seal up any present experiments away from kids pets and wildlife definitely not in your house or garage and do some reading and research here on the forum to learn how to recover and refine safely.

Welcome to the forum, start with learning which components can hold economically recoverable values and collect those. Scrap the rest.

Then study what those components are made up of and how all these compounds and elements react to incineration, acids like HCl, HNO3, H2SO4, and whichever chemical you intend to use.

For each type of component there is a best suited process, some less suitable ones and some processes are very unsuitable and dangerous. some components can be combined in one process that's best suited for both.

Decide if the materials you can gather hold enough value to be even worth processing for you. Which is a personal choice depending on your situation.

Once you have a plan written out for yourself, let us review it before you start. Ask us if you're getting lost in the info. There are no stupid questions.

Should you want to test something, like the acquaintance tests from Miss Hoke's book, do so in test tubes, in stead of liters and kilo's of test substance.

Study dealing with waste.

Martijn.

Hello all, I am new to the reclamation world. I have been working in a field upgrading old electronics to run on newer networks. All the old parts have been getting thrown away and it bothers me, all those shiny bits just getting tossed out. So, like a lot of other people I watched a video and decided to see if I could. I read an instructable by a guy called Railes and he points people here to this site. So here I am with a couple motherboards, Pentium 4 processors and a box full of 80's electronics. Im starting out simple with his method of soaking in muriatic acid and H2O2, it that keeps me excited I will start investing in more.

thanks,
Matt
You have been well received, so I will not do that again.
But I have a small task for you ;)

I have included the links to ease your burden:

We ask our new members to do 3 things.
1. Read C.M. Hokes book on refining jewelers scrap, it gives an easy introduction to the most important chemistry regarding refining.
It is free here on the forum: Screen Readable Copy of Hoke's Book
2. Then read the safety section of the forum: Safety
3. And then read about "Dealing with waste" in the forum: Dealing with Waste

Suggested reading: The Library

The method you are referring to is called AP / Copper chloride leach, and does not need H2O2, once you understand how it works, you can make the start solution with H2O2, but that's not for beginners. In my opinion. air is most important, use an aquarium bubbler.

Only put clean contat fingers in AP without any components or solder.
Separate> recover> refine.
garbage in = garbage out. so clean and separate as much as you can before going the chemical route.

Matt do yourself a favour and stop messing with chemicals as you are now producing corrosive and toxic fumes and highly toxic waste solutions that need treating properly before disposal.
Of this sounds harsh I apologize but if you create a real mess your interest in solving it will evaporate very quickly so put the chemicals away seal up any present experiments away from kids pets and wildlife definitely not in your house or garage and do some reading and research here on the forum to learn how to recover and refine safely.
Doesn’t sound harsh, just a little almighty. Just assumed I don’t know anything about chemicals, experiments whatever. I understand there are a lot of people out there that shouldn’t be doing anything but working and watching tv, doesn’t mean everyone is that way. I didn’t ask for advice or how to start, just getting an introduction out there like the site wanted.

Doesn’t sound harsh, just a little almighty. Just assumed I don’t know anything about chemicals, experiments whatever. I understand there are a lot of people out there that shouldn’t be doing anything but working and watching tv, doesn’t mean everyone is that way. I didn’t ask for advice or how to start, just getting an introduction out there like the site wanted.
Remember as you come here to us, we do not know anything about you, as you do not know much about us.
We deal with a plethora of people with just as many backgrounds.
We have had professional chemistry workers and noobs come to us and both categories do well or bad, some even get kicked out.
So we tend to use the same "hammer" for all.
The hammer is the reading list I presented to you.
Take it as it is intended, an introduction in your best interest.

Some of us also tend to be a bit annoyed with the kind of comments as "almighty" and other "name calling".
It do not add to the forums interest, nor the general well beeing of the forum, so please leave those at the door.

Last edited:
Well that told me so I’ll keep silent as my advice obviously isn’t needed as you are well versed enough in the chemistry involved not to need it.

Well that told me so I’ll keep silent as my advice obviously isn’t needed as you are well versed enough in the chemistry involved not to need it.
Welcome to the forum careymj
I don't comment often, but I do make a point to check this forum out most days & in my opinion, your advice is well proven to be needed.
I can understand the frustration of those that have years of experience with some of the questions that get asked on here & the health & safety implications of advice that's ignored.
My opinion in defence of the original poster, muriatic acid and H2O2 is how I start the process with a lot of parts from motherboards, so I can also understand the frustration with the first introduction response being "Matt do yourself a favour and stop messing with chemicals". With all due respect, it comes across a little bit patronizing.
No disrespect intended to anyone, just seeing it from both sides :)

Latest posts

Back