Iodine is the question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wootz

Hello Everyone,
Hope everyone is doing well. I’ve been lurking in silence for a while.
I wanted to do some quick samples at the mill site. Did some research and came across this post from a while back.
If your ore ( or sulfides) contains a lot of silver, chlorine (bleach + H2SO4, HCl+H2O2, AR etc.) will not help you correctly identify the amount of gold.

Use a standard geological iodine test.

Pour 100 grams of crushed ore and 100 ml. alcohol medical 5% iodine + potassium iodide (I2 + KI) solution into a tightly closed(!) plastic beaker and heat it to 50oC with constant shaking. Leave the mixture overnight in a warm place.

After this, filter the iodine solution from the ore, and wash the ore with a small amount of pure ethyl alcohol. By evaporating this solution (under a hood or in the open air - iodine vapor is toxic) and calcining the cup to 250oC-300oC, you will get a more or less approx. the weight content of gold and silver in your ore.

Gold and silver (if any) will be in the form of clearly visible, beautiful needle-shaped crystals on the perimeter surface of the dry salt sediment.

I want to try this but I’m slightly confused.
When someone says iodine or potassium iodine I immediately think of the antiseptic brown tincture.

Is that what is being referred to use here?
When I look for iodine the brown tincture pops up unless is the decolorized version.
Potassium iodide is easy.

So you mix iodine (brown tincture) with the potassium iodine?

I found this:
Would it work?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/136411999
IMG_0435.jpeg
I am working in a designated well ventilated are to conduct sample test

Thank you very much

Happy prospecting!

Hello Everyone,
Hope everyone is doing well. I’ve been lurking in silence for a while.
I wanted to do some quick samples at the mill site. Did some research and came across this post from a while back.

I want to try this but I’m slightly confused.
When someone says iodine or potassium iodine I immediately think of the antiseptic brown tincture.

Is that what is being referred to use here?
When I look for iodine the brown tincture pops up unless is the decolorized version.
Potassium iodide is easy.

So you mix iodine (brown tincture) with the potassium iodine?

I found this:
Would it work?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/136411999
View attachment 61478
I am working in a designated well ventilated are to conduct sample test

Thank you very much

Happy prospecting!
As it was said in this thread it might be beneficial to use Alcohol as solvent.

As it was said in this thread it might be beneficial to use Alcohol as solvent.
Hey Yggdrasil,
Yes totally. I understood that- just wanted to confirm that the iodine (brown liquid) is being used in the process.
So pretty much Lugols’s solution?
Thank you,

Last edited:
Hey Yggdrasil,
Yes totally. I understood that- just wanted to confirm that the iodine (brown liquid) is being used in the process.
So pretty much Lugols’s solution?
Thank you,
I’m a dumbass.
I understand now.
Sorry for the false alarm

Latest posts

Back